Current situation and conditions for E1 visa

puz

Hello everyone!

I met with my lawyer today and it seems like my dad's company can get an E1 visa to send me over to work in the states. The company already got a visa in 2006 and my brother was the person the company intended to send to the states (but he chose to go in another direction).

My brother told me that the way he understood it, you can change work places with the E1 visa in case you got fired or the company decided to close it's business in the states.
He said that the drawback with this visa is that you can't apply for a green card.

Today the lawyer said that you can't change work places with an E1 visa but that you can apply for a green card. The lawyer is probably right, obviously, but other info I've seen on the internet contradicted what she said.

What happens if you have an E1 visa but get fired before it expires? You need to go back to the homeland or can you stay in the states until it expires?

Thank you!

My experience

Well, I have a visa E1 and my dad ran a multinational business together with my uncle, but later on he decided to make his own independent company, we still import merchandise from other countries but it is not anymore a multinational business since we don't have a base on another country.. any way.. It's been a year since and we haven't have any problems.. in fact we just got a letter from our lawyer saying that we can start applying for a permanent residency and it's been only 2 years since we first got our E1 Visa.

I hope this helps you a little bit. :confused:

Greencard on E1

Well, I have a visa E1 and my dad ran a multinational business together with my uncle, but later on he decided to make his own independent company, we still import merchandise from other countries but it is not anymore a multinational business since we don't have a base on another country.. any way.. It's been a year since and we haven't have any problems.. in fact we just got a letter from our lawyer saying that we can start applying for a permanent residency and it's been only 2 years since we first got our E1 Visa.

I hope this helps you a little bit. :confused:

What I understand E1 visa holders can not apply for PR.

This is correct, there is NO path from E visa, regardless of type (1, 2 or 3) to PR or GC holder.

Perhaps the father is a GC holder or USC himself. One positive about the E visas is that it is legal to reside and work in the US while holding an E visa and have a concurrent I130 application pending