• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Cross Chargeability

In 2010 I applied to one of these online DV lottery organizations and paid a onetime fee which allows them to submit my application into the United States Diversity until my name is picked. They also advised me that I'm eligible enter this lottery due to my parents nationality at time of my birth.
What I would like to know is, am I eligible to legally apply for residency through ‘cross chargeability' or is this rule for the DV lottery only?

I am first generation Canadian born of Italian immigrant parents, my

date of birth is 26-March 1966, both my parents eventually became Canadian citizens 1972.

If eligible, please direct me to where and how to apply.

Please advise, thank you.

Sincerely,

Sal

In 2010 I applied to one of these online DV lottery organizations and paid a onetime fee which allows them to submit my application into the United States Diversity until my name is picked. They also advised me that I'm eligible enter this lottery due to my parents nationality at time of my birth.
What I would like to know is, am I eligible to legally apply for residency through ‘cross chargeability' or is this rule for the DV lottery only?

date of birth is 26-March 1966, both my parents eventually became Canadian citizens 1972.

Sincerely,

Sal

I'm somewhat confused by your question. Are you asking if you can use your Italian parentage to apply for residency in the US?? The answer is no and incidentally, it doesn't sound like you would have been eligible for the DV lottery either, as the rules for claiming chargeability through parents is strict - your parents would have had to be temporarily in Canada at the time of your birth, but clearly they were not if they naturalized there.

If you are asking about italian citizenship this is the wrong place.

Now to the issue(s) raised in your post, first of all, it's really not a good idea to use the services of an organization to register for the visa lottery like you did. There's always one kind of complication or the other with using them down the road.

Regarding cross chargeability, it does not seem like it's an option applicable to you. Because your parents became Canadian citizens a couple of years after your birth, my impression is that they where not staying in Canada on a temporary basis. The only way to claim cross chargeability in a situation such as yours is only if the parents where staying in your country of birth on a temporary basis. In this case, sounds like your parents where there as permanent residents. This is something those agents/organizations fail to explain to potential applicants since all they're interested in is their money.

Also in other to apply for a US permanent residency via the visa lottery, you have to be selected first. It's not like once you've entered the DV lottery you then proceed to apply for residency.

Sincerely,

Sal

So a company that only made money out you if you applied for the lottery through them, told you that you were eligible (when in fact you weren't). I wonder why they did that?