cross chargeability uscis

Rain_Maker

Hi All,
I am a (indian born) Canadian citizen working in USA with an approved I140. I am dating a Canadian born girl and planning to marry her. I recently read about the "cross chargeability" . Wanted to know more information about it. Being a priniciple applicant and canadian born spouse as dependent, can I use her nationality for my GC? Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Hi All,
I am a (indian born) Canadian citizen working in USA with an approved I140. I am dating a Canadian born girl and planning to marry her. I recently read about the "cross chargeability" . Wanted to know more information about it. Being a priniciple applicant and canadian born spouse as dependent, can I use her nationality for my GC? Any helpful advice is appreciated.

What visa are you talking about?
If it’s diversity visa, neither India nor Canada are eligible countries so there is no way for you to apply even if you marry her.
If it’s something else, can you be clear about what process you what to follow?

Hi All,
The answer is yes, as long as both of you are immigrating. The principal beneficiary can use the spouse derivative beneficiary's chargeability.

Last edited:
What visa are you talking about?
If it’s diversity visa, neither India nor Canada are eligible countries so there is no way for you to apply even if you marry her.
If it’s something else, can you be clear about what process you what to follow?

OP mentioned an approved I140 which is for an employment based GC petition. There's a longer waiting period for an Indian or Chinese born petitioner with an approved I140.

OP mentioned an approved I140 which is for an employment based GC petition. There's a longer waiting period for an Indian or Chinese born petitioner with an approved I140.

Oh I missed that, sorry! That’s what happens when I read posts before finishing my coffee :D