• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Cross chargeability - eligibility

rtl104

Hi all,

Sorry if this sort of thing has been dealt with before on this forum (I'm sure it has) but I'm trying to establish eligibility for the 2017 DV lottery before getting my hopes up and entering before being rejected!

I was born in the UK. My mother was born and raised in Spain before moving to England with her mother. She never got an English passport/residency because under EU law she could live and work in England on her Spanish passport. For example, she still cannot vote in the UK.

She still had a home in Spain she returned to every year up until she met my father (English) and got married. Then I was born and have lived in England, as has she, all my life (I'm 24)

Under cross chargeability, would I be able to charge my green card lottery entry to her nationality or does the fact that she has stayed here so long make me ineligible?

Thanks for you help in advanced!

Hi all,

Sorry if this sort of thing has been dealt with before on this forum (I'm sure it has) but I'm trying to establish eligibility for the 2017 DV lottery before getting my hopes up and entering before being rejected!

I was born in the UK. My mother was born and raised in Spain before moving to England with her mother. She never got an English passport/residency because under EU law she could live and work in England on her Spanish passport. For example, she still cannot vote in the UK.

She still had a home in Spain she returned to every year up until she met my father (English) and got married. Then I was born and have lived in England, as has she, all my life (I'm 24)

Under cross chargeability, would I be able to charge my green card lottery entry to her nationality or does the fact that she has stayed here so long make me ineligible?

Your parents' stay in the UK would have had to be a temporary one for you to be eligible to cross charge to a parent's country of birth. That's not applicable in your case, so I'm sorry to say you're to eligible to apply.

Hi all,

Yep - as MOm says - not eligible. Now - go marry a nice Spanish girl and hey presto - eligible. That's what this Brit did!

Your parents' stay in the UK would have had to be a temporary one for you to be eligible to cross charge to a parent's country of birth. That's not applicable in your case, so I'm sorry to say you're to eligible to apply.

Thank you for your quick answer :)