Credit card for dependent on h4

mela

Registered Users (C)
I called a bank (DCU) for a dependent credit card for my wife. It seems they are no longer issueing even dependent credit cards for people who do not have an SSN (per patriot act). Though it is not a major inconvinence, just wanted to know if anyone had a similar problem?

Actually I told the customer service person about ITIN my wife had but he was still insisting that the credit card cannot be issued without an SSN. He was also saying that this came into effect from October (not sure which year).

Maybe they have a new rule to report even dependent transactions to Credit bureu and SSN may be necessary there. He was also telling me that "no bank/financial institute can issue a credit card without an SSN".

mela said:
I called a bank (DCU) for a dependent credit card for my wife. It seems they are no longer issueing even dependent credit cards for people who do not have an SSN (per patriot act). Though it is not a major inconvinence, just wanted to know if anyone had a similar problem?

If your wife has NO credit history, it will be difficult to get a regular credit card, even a dependent card. Try for a secure credit card (which requires you to have a deposit equal to the desired credit limit) which helps to build credit history.

It think even the secure credit card requires an SSN. It is usally given to people with SSN to improve their credit history.

DCU gave my wife credit card in her name, no dependency to me and she was on H4 and did not had SSN

nkm-oct23 said:
If your wife has NO credit history, it will be difficult to get a regular credit card, even a dependent card. Try for a secure credit card (which requires you to have a deposit equal to the desired credit limit) which helps to build credit history.
Crap!

There are no issues in getting a dependent credit cards on your account. I've gotten a bunch of them for people who do not reside in the US, for people whose names are pretty common without giving/having a SSN.

msstl Digital federal credit union
1800 328 8797

msstl,
Please give a call to DCU to find out. They or any other bank will not be issueing a credit card (even dependent,secure etc.) without SSN. The reason they mentioned to me was patriot act.

msstl
Registered User Join Date: Nov 2004

DCU gave my wife credit card in her name, no dependency to me and she was on H4 and did not had SSN

Probably that card was issued before this law came into effect.

As Arlen said, for dependent card, they really don't need any information, other than the name of the person as you (the primary card holder) are responsible for everything.

My wife got credit card in her name (Not dependent) around 4 months ago. She have TIN number. She didn't apply for the card, one day she got pre-approved letter from DCU for the credit card. At first, I thought its same junk as other we receive every week but I didn't receive any junk from DCU in the pask. I call there CSR and asked, what is it and told them, she does not have a SSN and no credit history and she does not work. They said its OK and this really is a pre-approved letter for her and only she has to do is accept it.

In a week she got a credit card with thousands in credit line. I was amazed, how it happened.

PS. She had a checking account with DCU for about a year before she got this pre-approved letter.

As Arlen said, for dependent card, they really don't need any information, other than the name of the person as you (the primary card holder) are responsible for everything.

My wife got credit card in her name (Not dependent) around 4 months ago. She have TIN number. She didn't apply for the card, one day she got pre-approved letter from DCU for the credit card. At first, I thought its same junk as other we receive every week but I didn't receive any junk from DCU in the pask. I call there CSR and asked, what is it and told them, she does not have a SSN and no credit history and she does not work. They said its OK and this really is a pre-approved letter for her and only she has to do is accept it.

In a week she got a credit card with thousands in credit line. I was amazed, how it happened.

PS. She had a checking account with DCU for about a year before she got this pre-approved letter.

To open a checking account too, same rules apply as applying a credit card (regarding SSN etc.). When did your wife open a checking account? That agent might have mistakenly given it to her thinking having checking account qualifies her. They were not supposed to issue since October 2003.

Well, the Patriot Act was enacted a week or so after 9/11. So, if they said this just came in effect in October, then it is not the Patriot Act. As I said, this all looks as if they are blowing smoke. If there is something new, the bank should be able to provide a copy of the law text, or at least the name of the law.

Also it may have taken time for banks to implement its provisions. They are not sure which part of the patriot act this guidline is at but they stand by what they say.

Following information in bold was cited by the agent.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
DCU is required, by federal law, to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person opening or having access to a
DCU Account.
I understand that you will ask for my legal name, residential address, Social Security Number (SSN), Phone Number,
and Date of Birth

http://www.dcu.org/authorized.pdf

Could be true but again, for dependent card, there is no need of SSN, TIN, DOB etc. You should be able to get a dependent card without any problem.

You can also try to download checking account application from the dcu website and apply for a checking account for your wife. try to do this via mail and put TIN number instead of SSN abd mention there that it is a TIN number not SSN. This might work.

mela said:
To open a checking account too, same rules apply as applying a credit card (regarding SSN etc.). When did your wife open a checking account? That agent might have mistakenly given it to her thinking having checking account qualifies her. They were not supposed to issue since October 2003.
Got a checking a/c opened after 10/03.

I am on H4, DCU issued me a credit card with no hassel as a dependent on my husbands Credit Card. there was no problem for me i think i got that in some where in 2003 march.

i am on H4 visa,but i got credit card,2 months after coming to US.i have Master Card with my name,i don't have SSN or TIN.

Credit Card

Where did you apply and how did you get credit card on H4 .Please write the BANK/CREDIt UNION telephone number.
Thanks

Your bank is BSing you

I am on H1B and my wife on H4. Our bank had no problems on issuing her a credit card with her ITIN. There is no legal requirement for an SSN, that will only be required for emplyment purposes. Tell your bank to contact your Social Security Agency to verify that.