Covert J1 to B1

Sbhowmik

I am travelling to US on J1 short term visa on a research fellowship program but want to stay back after for about four months more to do observerships and give a exam these generally require B1 visa/ visitor visa. How can I convert from J1 to B1? Can I do it in the US or can I do it when am applying for the J1 or do I have to come back to India? Please advice. Thanks

You have to come to your home country to convert.

I am travelling to US on J1 short term visa on a research fellowship program but want to stay back after for about four months more to do observerships and give a exam these generally require B1 visa/ visitor visa. How can I convert from J1 to B1? Can I do it in the US or can I do it when am applying for the J1 or do I have to come back to India? Please advice. Thanks

You must obtain a change of visa classification from the J status to that of B. You can file Form I-539, Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status, with application fee, and also submit the required Form DS-2019 to the DHS office where the application is made. Also see http://www.greencardapply.com/j1/j1_faq.htm