Copies of old <expired> passports for I-485

karkoor24

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I am just about to file for my I-485 and my lawyer is asking me for copies of my old expired passports that I had earlier and had departure and arrival stamps on them to include in the application!

Since I never keep my old expired passports, I can't provide that, but I have copies of my all H1Bs and I-94s I ever had.

I am so worried !!

Are old passport copies necassary for I-485?
Does this have any impact of the I-485 application?

Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
karkoor24 said:
Hi guys,

I am just about to file for my I-485 and my lawyer is asking me for copies of my old expired passports that I had earlier and had departure and arrival stamps on them to include in the application!

Since I never keep my old expired passports,

-------------how many expired passports do you had, what you did with expired passports????

I can't provide that, but I have copies of my all H1Bs and I-94s I ever had.
-------you have copies of H1B approvals and all I-94. It seems you may be also having copy of expired passports and the passports.

I am so worried !!

----------------Officer can ask for pages of the passport that have entry stamps to US. That is to make sure you have been in valid status in past and were admitted through POE. They can ask anything these days. search your expired passports.

Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a Ref. on my I140 ( I had to go through special registration after 9/11) asking me to make a copy of all the pages with any stamp on it from my old passport. look into your old stuff,school records,your lawyer files,...

p.a.l said:
I got a Ref. on my I140 ( I had to go through special registration after 9/11) asking me to make a copy of all the pages with any stamp on it from my old passport. look into your old stuff,school records,your lawyer files,...

First off, I suspect SR had a fair bit to do with your RFE. But even if not, the point is that passport pages are not required evidence, and unless USCIS specifically asks for them there's no point to putting them in the package.

What USCIS is really interested in are overstays, and passport stamps do nothing to identify or disprove an overstay or illegal presence.

As long as your H1Bs and I-94s can prove that you have had valid visa status without any gap since you came to U.S., it should be fine.

hmmm..., a second thought, you never know what those USCIS officers will think of. so good luck!

karkoor24 said:
Hi guys,

Since I never keep my old expired passports, I can't provide that, but I have copies of my all H1Bs and I-94s I ever had.

I am so worried !!

Are old passport copies necassary for I-485?

Please help