Confusing I-90 Instructions

DCKehler

I've recently noticed the expiration date on my Alien Registration Card. I have been to the offical Gov site and obtained the I-90 form. My question pertains to the Part 3 Processing information. The city of residence where you applied for and Immigration Visa question baffles me. Does this ask for the last INS office I went to for my renewal 10 years ago, or the original city in which we came from in Canada. Next is about the same issue on this question. When they ask which Consulate where Immigration visa was issues or USCIS office where status was adjusted... Are they referring to the INS office afore mentioned or the original consulate my parents patitioned for our initial entry into the US. Now age 44 I came to the US from Canada in 1966 with my parents. As a kid growing up in the US always thought I had dual citizenship but that does not seem to be the case. Are there any notifications sent to those children of immigrants like myself to help us with our continuing co-operation with the USCIS? Frustrated because I have always been a model resident and complied to both US and Canada policies. I also deem myself a fairly educated person and if I find this form confusing I can only imagine those that are new to the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

1. City of Residence where you applied for an Immigrant Visa or Adjustment of Status.

Answer1: The city where you first applied for adjustment of status ie. the first time you applied for a green card. For example, I first filed an I90 in Honolulu.

2. Consulate Where Immigrant Visa was issued or USCIS office where status was adjusted.

Answer2: The district office that you filed at. In my example, this answer would be Honolulu District Office.

3. Date of Admission as an immigrant or Adjustment of status.

Answer3: The date that you use here would be the date on the back of your green card. It is the date that you first adjusted your status.

DCKehler said:
I've recently noticed the expiration date on my Alien Registration Card.
I have been to the offical Gov site and obtained the I-90 form.
My question pertains to the Part 3 Processing information.
The city of residence where you applied for and Immigration Visa question baffles me.

Does this ask for the last INS office I went to for my renewal 10 years ago, or the original city in which we came from in Canada.
Next is about the same issue on this question.
When they ask which Consulate where Immigration visa was issues or USCIS office where status was adjusted... Are they referring to the INS office afore mentioned or the original consulate my parents patitioned for our initial entry into the US.
Now age 44 I came to the US from Canada in 1966 with my parents. As a kid growing up in the US always thought I had dual citizenship but that does not seem to be the case.
------------- did you enter with your parents with immigrant visa and that immigrant visa was processed in US consulate in Canada

Are there any notifications sent to those children of immigrants like myself to help us with our continuing co-operation with the USCIS? Frustrated because I have always been a model resident and complied to both US and Canada policies. I also deem myself a fairly educated person and if I find this form confusing I can only imagine those that are new to the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...
--------------- to clear your questions need info.
1 did you or your parents file I-485 in US? if not how did they get GC and how you got GC
2 did you got GC approved through US consulate and entred US with immigrant visa.

if you provide info how your parents and you got green card it will be help to give correct answer becasue nobody can guess how you got the GC

*** you have renewed GC 10 years back it seems you may be staying in US more than 20 years you can get US citizenship.

Last edited by a moderator:
More information eh...

Thank you both for your information. In answer to a couple of questions and to give some more out there. My parents originally applied for our GC's in 1966 in Winnipeg Manitiboa Canada. In 1995 I took my original GC to San Jose California to the INS office (stood in line for 7 hours for a 10 minute stamp take my money) to apply for the "new" Pink Card which I recieved without any issues.
So let me try to put this out on what I understand and please correct me if off track. ;)
Answer to City of Residence wehre you applied for an ImmigrantVisa or Adjustment: Winnipeg

Consulate where Immigrant Visa was issued: Just found my original Green Card from 1966. It is noted that the port was PEM (Pembina North Dakota) on 11/01/66. Would this be the US consulate in question?

Date of Admission as an immigrant: 11/01/66

In answer to the question of parents filing the I-485? Asked my Mom and she said they did file in 1965 and it took over a year to get immigration status. In 1979 my Dad naturalized and my Mom in 1984.
Again I wish to thank you both for your help in this matter. This is a great site and I will surely pass it along.

Darrin

DCKehler said:
Thank you both for your information. In answer to a couple of questions and to give some more out there.
My parents originally applied for our GC's in 1966 in Winnipeg Manitiboa Canada.
----------- were your parents in US and they sponcored your Green Card and you attended interview in US consulate Canada.? it means you entred US with immigrant visa.

In 1995 I took my original GC to San Jose California to the INS office (stood in line for 7 hours for a 10 minute stamp take my money) to apply for the "new" Pink Card which I recieved without any issues.
*** if parents applied for your GC in 1996 then how did could you go to San Jose California INS office in 1995???? If GC was sponcred and you attended immigrant visa interview in US consulate Canada and entred US with immigrant visa(brown envelope) then it should be after 1996 not before that

So let me try to put this out on what I understand and please correct me if off track. ;)
Answer to City of Residence wehre you applied for an ImmigrantVisa or Adjustment: Winnipeg
--------------- where you were staying in Canada when immigrant visa was applied for you
: Just found my original Green Card from 1966. It is noted that the port was PEM (Pembina North Dakota) on 11/01/66. Would this be the US consulate in question?
----------------it seems you entred with Immigrant visa write the name of US consulate in Canada where you got immigrant visa papers.
POE means where you first entred from Canada

Date of Admission as an immigrant: 11/01/66

In answer to the question of parents filing the I-485? Asked my Mom and she said they did file in 1965 and it took over a year to get immigration status.
----------- it means they filed immigrant visa petition for you in US 1965 and at that time you were in Canada and US consulate in Canada approved your immigrant visa in 1996 and you entred US on 11/01/66 through Port of Entry(POE) Pembina North Dakota and then you went to local INS office in 1966(not 1995 as posted by you)

In 1979 my Dad naturalized and my Mom in 1984.
Again I wish to thank you both for your help in this matter. This is a great site and I will surely pass it along.

Darrin

happigal said:
1. City of Residence where you applied for an Immigrant Visa or Adjustment of Status.

Answer1: The city where you first applied for adjustment of status ie. the first time you applied for a green card. For example, I first filed an I90 in Honolulu.

2. Consulate Where Immigrant Visa was issued or USCIS office where status was adjusted.

Answer2: The district office that you filed at. In my example, this answer would be Honolulu District Office.

3. Date of Admission as an immigrant or Adjustment of status.

Answer3: The date that you use here would be the date on the back of your green card. It is the date that you first adjusted your status.

Hi, for answer 3, is ther any date on the back of green card? I still do not get it. Is it the date I became PR, or the date when 485 filing was received, was approved? Pleaes help. many thanks!

IrishBailey said:
Hi, for answer 3, is ther any date on the back of green card?
------------no
I still do not get it.
Is it the date I became PR,
----------- yes, the date I-485 was approved
or the date when 485 filing was received, was approved?
------------was approved
Pleaes help. many thanks!

I know. I mean nothing offensive. I just wonder where is the date you mentioned earlier on the back of the card.

IrishBailey said:
I know. I mean nothing offensive.

I just wonder where is the date you mentioned earlier on the back of the card.
-------------- when did I say date on back of the card?
I-485 approval date or the date PR was approved is on front side of the card

Hello, your question is simple. It's asking you, which city did you apply for immigrant visa or got your green card the first time ever.So your case would be PEM,ND if that's what noted on your card. The consulate where you applied would be winnepeg,Canada.People apply for immigrant visa at U.S consulates everywhere, but to get the actuall plastic, you have to enter the U.S, and thats where you would consider you POE.
It's not really a big deal as far as you still have the physical card as you said.It's just for statiscal purposes.

Also, if your Dad naturalized in 1979 as you said and you were a minor at the time (13yrs) i beleive you should automaticaly be a U.S citizen actually, you might want to consult to an immigration lawyer before you waist your money and time with a new GC and naturalization applications.
It might be a question of you applying for Naturalization certificate based on your Dad citizenship.

Hi,
Could you help me in form I-90 part 3 questions:
1. Destination in U.S. at time of Admission
2. Port of Entry where Admitted to U.S( first we landed in Chicago and went thru customsthere first time in U.S, but we didnt stay there we flew to Denver)

A1: Where your final destination in the US was
A2: Chicago

1. Destination in U.S. at time of Admission
2. Port of Entry where Admitted to U.S( first we landed in Chicago and went thru customsthere first time in U.S, but we didnt stay there we flew to Denver)