Confused about what K-3 does

Newba

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I'm confused about what filing an I-129F for a K-3 does. I understand that there are already posts about whether it's worth it, but what I'm trying to understand is a more specific and basic question...What it actually accomplishes.

Here's my confusion. As I understand, if I, as a U.S. citizen, sponsor my wife through an I-130, she still can't live in the U.S. until her I-485 is approved, which is filed after the I-130 gets approved. My understanding of the purpose of a K-3 is that it's supposed to be a way for her to live in the U.S. while that longer part of the process is taking place.

However, I read on the State Department website the following sentence: "When both petitions have been approved by USCIS and sent to the NVC or when USCIS approves the I-130 before the I-129F, the availability of, as well as the need for, a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends."

This is very confusing. The I-130 usually gets approved within a few months, whereas the I-485 process is what takes a real long time, right? So if they're saying that applying for a K-3 isn't applicable if the I-130 is already approved, then what is the purpose of applying for a K-3? Isn't the idea of a K-3 so that one's wife can move to the U.S. sooner than it would take if one waited for the I-485 after having done the I-130?
Thanks.