• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Concerned about my School Exams.

MrsOrange

Hi,
I entered the DV lotto last night but very concerned about my leaving school exams. I finished all my education up to the age of 18 but the exams before uni...well they are terrible! I might as well not have done them it is that bad. If I did get anywhere with the DV lotto will this have me disqualified?

Hi,
I entered the DV lotto last night but very concerned about my leaving school exams. I finished all my education up to the age of 18 but the exams before uni...well they are terrible! I might as well not have done them it is that bad. If I did get anywhere with the DV lotto will this have me disqualified?

All depends on the country your from/will be interviewing at. Some embassies have specified passing grades on the high school leaving exams they expect selectees to have met. Some simply accept the HS diploma 'as is'. It may help though if you have a college degree in addition.

I am from Ireland but live in the UK so I am unsure where it would be.
I am currently starting my degree so I am a student. Thank you for your reply!

I am from Ireland but live in the UK so I am unsure where it would be.
I am currently starting my degree so I am a student. Thank you for your reply!

You probably did GCSEs and then A levels - right? Typically for University entry you would need a minimum level of passes on three A level subjects. That would add up to some number of UCAS points. The fact that you did get into Uni suggests you did achieve something - right??

Yes I done the Irish equivalent so the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams.

Not exactly 100% on the uni part. I am attending uni via the "Open University" although this university has no formal entry requirements. I will graduate with a recognised degree.
I will re-order my Irish Leaving Certificate as it was 9 years ago so I can't remember exactly my grades but from what I do remember it was not a good sight! 60pts at most :(

Yes I done the Irish equivalent so the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams.

Not exactly 100% on the uni part. I am attending uni via the "Open University" although this university has no formal entry requirements. I will graduate with a recognised degree.
I will re-order my Irish Leaving Certificate as it was 9 years ago so I can't remember exactly my grades but from what I do remember it was not a good sight! 60pts at most :(

OK - yes I am aware of the OU.

So - yes, you might have a problem. The standard they look for is not attendance, but "successful completion" of a course of study equivilent to US High school graduation. That means the point at which an American kid could enter Uni.

Some COs may not be so precise about the education, but many (most) would refuse you based on the 60pts UCA level. So - let's assume you don't qualify under education. Could you qualify based on your professional experience? Read the link below...

http://britsimonsays.com/education-or-work-experience-qualifying-for-the-dv-lottery/

I can't remember exactly my grades but from what I do remember it was not a good sight! 60pts at most :(
When you said terrible I though you meant something like 250 points, which in my day would have excluded a student from even the most modest of third level courses. 300 - 400 would be the average.

You obviously failed all but 1 or 2 of your 7 subjects and failed the Leaving Cert itself in spectacular fashion and therefore have not successfully completed the equivalent of US high school.

You can still qualify on work experience though.

However, when I did my interview at the Dublin embassy they paid absolutely no attention to my educational history.

when I did my interview at the Dublin embassy they paid absolutely no attention to my educational history.

I bet they did - considering it is one of the most important aspects of the process, but all they would do is glance at your docs.

I bet they did - considering it is one of the most important aspects of the process, but all they would do is glance at your docs.

My thoughts exactly, considering that it is a key eligibility criterion. If all is in order and they recognise the certificate it won't take more than a cursory glance to confirm it's met, however.