Completely confused....Please Help

nestlegrl

I am a USC. I married a man from Jordan who came to the USA on a visitor visa. He has gone back to Jordan, and is waiting for me to figure out how to make him an immigrant. He has a 5 year multiple visit visa in which he can stay here six months at a time.

I have read many posts here, and although some cases are similar, I have yet to find one where the spouse is back living in their home country. I am confused as to whether we should apply for a change in visa status, or just apply for the I30 Green card. Will he have to apply for a work permit, or can he work just because he has a green card, or the right kind of visa.

I am not sure if I have to claim all of my children on the affidavid of support, because I dont claim them on my tax return. I claim one and my ex husband claims the other. But both live with me. If I have to claim all of my children on the Affidavid of support, I dont make 125% above the poverty level for that amount of family members, and cant sponsor him. Any way around this?
His current job is in Jordan, when he comes to the USA, he will quit that job and get another one here. He will be working, but without a job here, he cant use it as joint support income.

How will we go for our interview and say we live together, when we live in separate countries. we want to live together, but we dont now. We have no joint bank accounts, no joint insurance, we have yet to begin our lives together. We have no wedding pictures because we got married in the courts, and did not have a wedding. all we have are the marriage certificate and our rings. we have known each other for 4 years, and we love each other. we have worked hard in order to get this far, but this is an obstacle in which i dont understand. all we have are a few emails, and several months, to years of phone records. We met online, but we have had relationship for many years. We finally met while he was here, and we are still very in love with each other especially after the time we spent together. We have pictures from our visit together. and plans for our future. He refuses to come back to USA unless he can work and help support us. Even though he can come back to visit. He wont put the burden of support on me until he can legally work here, he will until he can find a job. He has a college degree, Associates in accounting, and specialized military training because he worked for the governent in his country, and was trained by the United States Army. I have so much faith that he can find a good job because of this.

Please someone guide me. Give me some advice on how we can make this happen!

You file for a spouse visa. This is detailed in the USCIS website on family based immigration.

You will get more help by posting questions in the other sections on the forum - those for K visas and for Immigrant visas: green cards.

Your marriage documents from the court are sufficient to prove your marriage.

Since he is in another country and you are filing for absent spouse, the fact that you are not now living together is not an issue; it is to be expected. In fact, if he were living in the US with you, you would need to take another approach.

He needs to enter only once he receives the new visa; he should not try to enter on visit visa he currently has.

If you need assistance, find a local service agency in your community who assists with immigration issues.

Thank you guys so much for your help I am so happy you are here and can answer so many questions. I now have a starting place. I will post to tell others what has happened, as we go through this. Thanks.