Clarification needed : Canadian wanting to marry US Citizen

Imitatus

Hello all,

I have been reading through various threads and have looked into much information and quite frankly I am left more confused and anxious so please bare with me for more clarifications regarding this matter.

I am currently in the US; have been here for about 3weeks now. My girlfriend and I are discussing getting married since we both want to live together. The plan is that I would be moving here with her in Seattle.

Now, from what I've read, I can legally be here for 6months, though at the point of entry a few weeks I told the agents I would only be here for 2-3weeks. Last year I also stayed for about 3months, however at the point of entry I told them I would only be in the US for a month. I guess that plans can change and that it's not really an issue if I decide to stay longer as long as I don't overstay..?

So we've been discussing getting married, some sources say that since we didn't plan on getting married before my entry, we could just get married and then file the other paperwork (whatever that entails, I'm not sure what is needed) so that I could be a resident and start working. Others have stated to get a fiancee visa, but technically we're not really fiance. We just want to be married and live together.

I am confused as to what the necessary procedures are: can we just get a marriage license, get married and begin the process so that I can work? What are the detailed steps? Is it a safe venue to just opt for marriage right away? What kind of documentation would I need?

Can anyone shed a little bit of clarification on this matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Since you knew your girlfriend prior to entering the last time as a visitor, I would advise you persue the K-1 route.
If you both want to marry each other and and are free to do so, you are fiance'/fiancee' to each other.

I am confused as to what the necessary procedures are: can we just get a marriage license, get married and begin the process so that I can work? What are the detailed steps? Is it a safe venue to just opt for marriage right away? What kind of documentation would I need?

Can anyone shed a little bit of clarification on this matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.