1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Claim dependents living abroad using ITIN

Discussion in 'Tax, Social Security and Fin' started by ak117, Feb 5, 2010.

  1. ak117

    ak117 New Member

    My parents are here in the states on a visitor visa . My dad is retired and mom is a housewife. Can I claim them as dependents by using ITIN and get some tax refund ? I do support them when they are abroad by sending money to them couple of times a year.

    Please advise.

  2. Morning Star

    Morning Star New Member

    IRS rules state that if your parents were residents of the United States, Canada or Mexico and you provided over half of their support (each), you may claim them. Please see Publication 17 on dependent issues.
  3. Concerned4us

    Concerned4us Banned

    There are very specidfic rules regarding the claiming of dependents. Read the booklet on the filing instructions .

    Remember, if your parents are dependent on you, they are likely overstays and potential public charges for inadequate resources and ties to their home country and should not be granted the priviledge of visiting the US due to their lack of ties to their home country.

    You appear to be trying to commit fraud by claiming them as dependents for US tax purposes yet failing to properly declare that they are dependents for US immigration.
  4. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    Not necessarily.

    Where do you get this idea? You're confusing tax and immigration concepts, which are very different.
  5. Concerned4us

    Concerned4us Banned

    If the parents require financial support to survive in their home country, they are very likely to have sufficient ties to prevent them from becoming one of the thousands of people each year who come to the US on visit visas and never return to their homes.

    The OP very much appears to be looking tpo commit tax fraud. I stand by my statements based on current studies showing that an increasing number of "visitors" from Central and South America and South Asia are illegally remaining in the US.
  6. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    That's a subjective judgment. It's entirely possible to meet SPT as a B visa holder to become a US tax resident, without being a public charge or an overstay.

    So what? Studies are studies - the facts of this situation are all that are interesting. For all we know the OP doesn't come from either of the areas listed.

    And you should be really careful before you accuse someone of tax fraud. It's a very specific thing.

Share This Page