Claim dependents living abroad using ITIN

ak117

My parents are here in the states on a visitor visa . My dad is retired and mom is a housewife. Can I claim them as dependents by using ITIN and get some tax refund ? I do support them when they are abroad by sending money to them couple of times a year.

Please advise.

Thanks.

IRS rules state that if your parents were residents of the United States, Canada or Mexico and you provided over half of their support (each), you may claim them. Please see Publication 17 on dependent issues.

There are very specidfic rules regarding the claiming of dependents. Read the booklet on the filing instructions .

Remember, if your parents are dependent on you, they are likely overstays and potential public charges for inadequate resources and ties to their home country and should not be granted the priviledge of visiting the US due to their lack of ties to their home country.

You appear to be trying to commit fraud by claiming them as dependents for US tax purposes yet failing to properly declare that they are dependents for US immigration.

Remember, if your parents are dependent on you, they are likely overstays and potential public charges

Not necessarily.

You appear to be trying to commit fraud by claiming them as dependents for US tax purposes yet failing to properly declare that they are dependents for US immigration.

Where do you get this idea? You're confusing tax and immigration concepts, which are very different.

If the parents require financial support to survive in their home country, they are very likely to have sufficient ties to prevent them from becoming one of the thousands of people each year who come to the US on visit visas and never return to their homes.

The OP very much appears to be looking tpo commit tax fraud. I stand by my statements based on current studies showing that an increasing number of "visitors" from Central and South America and South Asia are illegally remaining in the US.

If the parents require financial support to survive in their home country, they are very likely to have sufficient ties to prevent them from becoming one of the thousands of people each year who come to the US on visit visas and never return to their homes.

That's a subjective judgment. It's entirely possible to meet SPT as a B visa holder to become a US tax resident, without being a public charge or an overstay.

The OP very much appears to be looking tpo commit tax fraud. I stand by my statements based on current studies showing that an increasing number of "visitors" from Central and South America and South Asia are illegally remaining in the US.

So what? Studies are studies - the facts of this situation are all that are interesting. For all we know the OP doesn't come from either of the areas listed.

And you should be really careful before you accuse someone of tax fraud. It's a very specific thing.