Citizenship option to pick-Perm Resident 5 years or married to US citizen

vikas_chopra

Registered Users (C)
Hello fellow forum members

I got married in May 2005 to a US citizen and became a permanent resident via marriage to a US citizen. I am a permanent resident since March 2006. We are still married and living together. My spouse has been a US citizen since 2000.

I am in a dilemma which of the following option to pick on the N-400 as I satisfy both the following options.

1. A lawful Perm Resident for 5 years
OR
2. US Perm resident for at-least 3 years. In addition married and living to same US citizen for past 3 years.

Option 2 requires more documentation to be provided so I as leaning towards option 1. Do you foresee any problems with my approach?

Any insights will be appreciated.

Thanks

vcclt

If you qualify for both the 3-year and 5-year options, it's better to choose the 5-year unless you have some problematic issue that falls outside the 3-year window but still inside of 5 years, such as a conviction or extensive travel.

I have a question bc I am curious. My husband I guess could have applied for the 5 year (5 yr anniversary in August for GC) but he applied based on the marriage to me. It did not matter to us really..but I am curious...In what ways is it 'easier' to go the 5 year route vs the marriage to citizen route? I would have loved to take the easier route had we realized. What makes it less work specifically? Thanks.

I have a question bc I am curious. My husband I guess could have applied for the 5 year (5 yr anniversary in August for GC) but he applied based on the marriage to me. It did not matter to us really..but I am curious...In what ways is it 'easier' to go the 5 year route vs the marriage to citizen route? I would have loved to take the easier route had we realized. What makes it less work specifically? Thanks.

The 5-year is easier because it involves less or no scrutiny of the marriage, and less paperwork as a result ... you don't have to submit joint bank statements, lease/mortgage etc. and such documentation to show evidence of a still-viable marriage.

If the applicant qualifies for both but selected the 3-year option, sometimes the interviewer will suggest switching to the 5-year (it also makes their life easier as it's less paperwork for them to review); switching mid-stream like that is allowed if the applicant was eligible for both at the time the N-400 was filed.