Citizenship Interview in Newark, NJ

vueNJ

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I just returned from my naturalization interview in Newark, NJ. My interview time was 7:40 am on the 13th floor. I waited for about two hours before my name was called by the IO assigned to me. He was a very pleasant guy, apologized for the late call. He then asked me to swear to tell the truth...etc. and asked for my Driver's license, passport and greencard.

Then he immediately asked about the countries I've been to for the last five years. His first question was, why I didn't list France among the countries I visited, while I had an entry stamp on my passport? I told him that I have a Schengen visa which allow you to travel to various countries in Europe and that the French entry stamp was my port of entry to go to Spain as my final destination. He said OK but admitted he has no idea about the schengen visa. I had 233 days of total travels distributed in 9 trips, with 68 days as the most number of days I was out of the US. No problem.

The next question is about my marriage, he asked for my marriage certificate, thanks to this forum I made a copy of it. But then I reminded him that my application is based on a 5 year employment GC. He said he just want to verify what is written on my N-400. I brought with me tax transcripts, bank statements, speeding ticket receipt, birth certificate and a lot more... IO didn't even bother to look at them.

Then, he asked me how long did I work for the employer who petitioned my GC :eek:. I said 1 1/2 years but left the employer 3 months after getting the GC to work for another company under the same capacity. No comment.

Then, he continued with the rest of the N-400 questionnaires and the history and civic questions + the English test.

In 10 minutes I was out of his office but waited for another hour to get the oath and the certificate. The IO sent me to 15th floor to surrender my GC and to sign my Certificate and to do the oath taking (11 am.). We were told that there will be 5 oath ceremonies in Newark today. All in all, it was a pleasant experience. I'm now applying for my passport. Thanks for all your help and assistance. Here's my timeline:

VSC/ Newark, NJ (DO)

Sent N-400 via Fedex- April 7, 2008
N-400 Received on - April 8, 2008
Check cashed- April 12, 2008
NOA received- April 21, 2008
PD- April 8, 2008
FP Notice received- April 25, 2008
FP- May 6, 2008 Done
June 2, 2008- My file disappeared online
June 7, 2008- received IL
Interview date- July 30, 2008 at 7:40 am (13th flr.)
Oath date- July 30, 2008 U.S citizen finally!

Congrats and advice for wantmygcnow..

Hi,

Congrats on super fast process:)

wantmygcnow...(hold your horses):)
I applied in 04/07 FP in 05/07 and still waiting due to name check.
so if your name is like me be happy wherever you are:))

Regards

Lawyers fee around NYC

Congratulations !! Thanks for sharing your details.

Thanks, Bobsmyth. I know you're not from the NYC area but for those in NYC area, can anyone tell me how much is the average cost to hire an immigration lawyer to petition an immediate relative (spouse) who is already here in the US on L1A visa. I recently got my citizenship. Thanks for the info.

Which floors they conduct N-400 interviews in Newark, NJ?

Just fast question, does Newark office conduct N-400 interviews at 15th floor or they use other floors as well? I received my interview action letter and instruction calls that I go to 14th floor, is that normal?