Citizenship Eligibility

mbezite

I married a US citizen in Sept 2006 got my 10 year permanent residence in April 2010. We divorced in Jan 2013. Since I have to file under the 5 year rule... Am I eligible to file now for citizenship or I when do i become eligible?
My GC says resident since April 2008 (date when I got my first 2yr conditional GC).
Second question, I didn't see any requirements to provide tax returns, but if asked would they ask for 5yr tax returns? I always filed as single even during marriage n thought this might be a problem. Please advice

You became eligible for naturalization in April 2013 (5 years after you got GC), and could even apply 3 months before that.

You don't have to send tax returns but you need to go back and amend your taxes anyway because they're wrong. People who are married cannot under any circumstances file as Single filing status. You had to file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. If your ex-spouse won't cooperate, you can only file as Married Filing Separately. You may have to pay back taxes because Married Filing Separately is worse than Single.

Thanks newacct for shedding some light into this.
Why do i need to amend my taxes since I am not filing n400 under the 3year? If taxe return will be a problem, is it better to wait upto 5yrs(2018) after divorce to then file for citizenship where if they looked into taxes they would be correct?

Thanks newacct for shedding some light into this.
Why do i need to amend my taxes since I am not filing n400 under the 3year? If taxe return will be a problem, is it better to wait upto 5yrs(2018) after divorce to then file for citizenship where if they looked into taxes they would be correct?
You need to amend your taxes because they were filed wrong. It's a violation of tax law. This is regardless of whether you decide to naturalize or when you apply to naturalize.

I did not know how to open a new topic, so decided to post my question here. Can a permanent resident
help with campaigns for federal election? I know that green card holders, are not permitted to vote. What about participation in campaigns (display a campaigns signs...)

Hello:

I am GC holder since 7/2007.
From 7/2007 to 4/2010, I have been living in India and coming to US every 6-9 months.
From 4/2010, I have been physically present in the US - till date (i.e. from 4/2010 to 5/2015 and still here)
Therefore, I have been in the US for the past 5 years (with only 37 days out of the US in the past 5 years).

The N-400 - Question 8.3 asks about the last 5 years. Considering the above details, I meet the 5 year physical and continuous presence.

Will the time from 7/2007 to 4/2010 come into play and is that going to be a problem ? I have not yet applied.
Do I need to send my tax returns for the past 5 years ?

Appreciate inputs here.

Thank you!