Citizenship Denied: Please help me !!!

As mr want my gc said, I asked my lawyer about his notes and the lawyer said that it is good idea to call my embassy and tell them that I dont want to be their citizen. I think I have to sign some letter and send with my passport to my home country. My lawyer also thinks that my home embassy may be informing the USCIs about my passport renewal because they did ask my green card copy and my A number.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how helpful your home embassy will be in this kind of situation.How much influence your home embassy may have on uscis business.How much care your home embassy will do on your call.How helpful is on telling uscis that you don't have a nationality.Being asylee/refugee doesn't mean you don't have a nationality.It just means being protected by another nation.If you're not eligible or were found no longer eligible that nation has a right to take back to your nation of origin.Also,naturalization is a process which allows someone to get a new nationality.That's why on your uscis documents they have to mention your country.I'm not sure that someone may get a US citizenship if he/she declares that he/she doesn't have a country of nationality by sateting this on his /her application form or by leaving blank any question related to this issue on his/her application form.
As I said in my previous post,if they allowed you to apply again in 10 months,make sure that the reason of denial is not because you renewed yopur NP or went back to C.O.P.It may be something else and you need to find out.If this was the reason,your GC would be revoked because of fraud...
Chill down and apply again in 10 months you may get lucky and meet a nice cowboy...
Good luck

RD Aug 22,2005
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

eshaan27 said:
. My lawyer also thinks that my home embassy may be informing the USCIs about my passport renewal because they did ask my green card copy and my A number.
I think here where the problem of loyality came from.
like I said before most embassy clerks know about AS6 code .. and no teller about indians ,pakistanise and chineses.. clerks.
do not anticipate ..stay quit .
just pay you lawyer to find out why they denied your case
in the first place...and start from there .
be brave ..and never loss hope.
:rolleyes:

WANTMYGCNOW, It's Not OK To Travel To Home Country With A GC

It seems like a lot of people in this forum are forgetting on what basis they got their GC. After so many years in this country it's very easy to forget. It's a lot different feeling when you are standing on the OTHER side of an immigration checkpoint, as many of us have experienced.

WantMyGCNow, you are seen as a big authority in this forum and I know you have a lot of knowledge about immigration issues. From that position, I think it's irresponsible to tell people that it's OK to travel to their home country with a GC. I know, this is just a forum, and just an opinion, but still. The reason why I think it's not OK to travel to C.O.P. with a GC is that you are always at mercy of an immigration officer, either at a point of entry or when applying for US citizenship.
So even though the situation in the C.O.P. might have changed a thousand times meanwhile, everyone should be prepared that an IO will be asking very unpleasant questions.

I think that most issues can be resolved with a help of an experienced immigration lawyer, but I don't think it's worth it to knowingly (in most cases, anyway) breach the faith you were given when this country accepted you as an asylee. I don't want to sound like an immigration judge here, I am rather suggesting that people use their common sense.

Good luck, Holiday Maker, I believe you will be OK at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they revoke two people's GC, no one else will ever think about going back to COP.

I don’t know for what reason we are just talking about the same issue, over and over with the new thread subjects. It is something personal, but think about other people who are getting the same status as the one you got it. Don’t destroy their path.

If they give any opportunity to immigrants, they will revoke the real citizen of this country papers and kick them out of the US

inline said:
It seems like a lot of people in this forum are forgetting on what basis they got their GC. After so many years in this country it's very easy to forget. It's a lot different feeling when you are standing on the OTHER side of an immigration checkpoint, as many of us have experienced.

WantMyGCNow, you are seen as a big authority in this forum and I know you have a lot of knowledge about immigration issues. From that position, I think it's irresponsible to tell people that it's OK to travel to their home country with a GC. I know, this is just a forum, and just an opinion, but still. The reason why I think it's not OK to travel to C.O.P. with a GC is that you are always at mercy of an immigration officer, either at a point of entry or when applying for US citizenship.
So even though the situation in the C.O.P. might have changed a thousand times meanwhile, everyone should be prepared that an IO will be asking very unpleasant questions.

I think that most issues can be resolved with a help of an experienced immigration lawyer, but I don't think it's worth it to knowingly (in most cases, anyway) breach the faith you were given when this country accepted you as an asylee. I don't want to sound like an immigration judge here, I am rather suggesting that people use their common sense.

Where did you pop up from? We appreciate your positive advise regarding this matter but here is what I have to say, if you cannot go to COP after GC then you can never go even after citizenship. what's the difference? Now why can't they revoke your citizenship on basis of fraud? Seems like no one really talks abbout that. I am firm with my opinion due to my experiences. Althought I have not travelled back home but I was never a primary asylee as my mother had filed for asylum, although my GC states As6. I was 17 when I came here and now 11 years later I will go back if I have to. There is no law against it. Times have changed, I have changed and Govt has changed.

inline said:

Well I am giving my opinion. Before my opinion was that anyone who goes back to their home country should be "hanged". I don't think that anymore because I think sometimes you have to travel..never say never.

I have always advised that if you visit your home country, write your excuse as to why you went back with supporting documentation. For example, a sick family member, then print an email and get hospital records..and save it in a folder and lock it! you never know when you will get it.

Cadel,

Actually being an asylee really means that you cut your ties from your home country and no longer renew your passport. Don't they ask you that question in one of the forms? Have you obtained benefit from the country of persecution?

Getting a NP is a benefit.

And also when you get a secret clearance(only for citizens), you are required to cut off ties to your home country. NOt that you can't travel there but you can't have that passport or any land or any business in that country...

We asylees are stateless people. I will never use my NP, first of all it doesn't help me much and second of all, I think of myself as stateless until I become USC....I think its a good idea for people with NP not to renew it..

The point was if you go to an interview and say "I am stateless as I was when I became an asylee, here is the proof that I have given up my passport and nationality"...You will have more respect rather than walking in and saying "I am proud to be a citizen of the country who perseucted me and I am here to CLAIM MY USC"

wantmygcnow said:
The point was if you go to an interview and say "I am stateless as I was when I became an asylee, here is the proof that I have given up my passport and nationality"...You will have more respect rather than walking in and saying "I am proud to be a citizen of the country who perseucted me and I am here to CLAIM MY USC"

honnestly :give up nationality before getting u.s.citizenship is very bad advice.
we can not fix problem by creating another one.
remember three facts:
*once you give up your nationality you can never re-gain it again.
*even statless green card holder is subject of deportation.
*upon deportation its almost impossible for statless ex-green card holder to find third country to go.

I went home to my homecountry after i got my gc - was just last month. i still truly believe i will not have any problems whatsoever when applying for my citizenship.

I really think Eshaan27's case is not that simple. i can't see the U.S. immigration just denied his application with one simple word: loyalty.
I'm sorry, but it doesn't make any sense to me. if they denied your citizenship, they will come up with all kinda of reasonable strong reasons on why you're denied.

jubilee said:
honnestly :give up nationality before getting u.s.citizenship is very bad advice.
remember three facts:
*upon deportation its almost impossible for statless ex-green card holder to find third country to go.

what if you haven't renewed your NP after it had expired? does it mean you lost your citizenship?

eshaan27 said:
Hello everyone. My name is Eshaan and I was an asylee and got my GC in late 2000. I applied for U.S Citizenship and was interviewed, they even took my money from me. I gave my tax forms and everything as asked but today I got a letter saying that it has been denied, reason with capital marks "LOYALITY"

What do they mean? CAn anyone help me? Once I got my GC, I visited my home country twice a year every year so 8 times so far for 2 weeks. I making sure that I didn't stay for more than 2 weeks..also no house back home or anything, I stayed with my uncle.

I have renewed my passport twice and the officer asked me again and again why I renewd it when I was an asylee. But i answer him again and again and again that I am not an asylee , I got gc, how is it asylee.

He was very red faced when he said that I cann not go back to home with my card but where is it writen in law that I can't be going home? He also asked me why I renewed my home passport but my lawyer telilng me after getting my GC that it i sok.

What shall I be doing now? I want to be citizen so I can travel freely and apply for my parents back inmy country.

I am happy i finding this website. Please help me if anyone seeing same situation. I talked to laywer but he asks 5000 dollars which is a lot fo rme. I don't have much money. Please help any good people of this immigratng forum. Thank you. may god bles all.

First of all, what makes you think that the denial was because of your National Passport Renewal and visits to former country? To me, 'LOYALTY' sounds more like if you refused to take the oath of allegiance, OR if you said somewhere during your interview that you refuse:

1) to bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law.
2) to renounce all allegiance to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen. blah.. blah..
3) Etc

Of course I'm just speculating since I don't know the whole context of your interview. Either way, ask your lawyer, if he agreed to $5000 to handle your case, he should be able to easily explain to you what 'LOYALTY' means. I don't think a real lawyer will give you a quote unless they know what kind of work is involved.

Based on the information that you posted, I don't think they are accusing you of fraud. If they are, you will get a chance to appeal and they will not have given you the option to wait for 10 months to reapply.

Regards.

I totally agree w/ Jackdaniel.

Also, I'm wondering why he can't appeal, yet is allowed to reapply in 10 months.

Would be helpfull to all if Eshaan could let us know what the letter says, exactly.

First of all relax! All of you. I'm one of those who believes it's OK to travel back to home country after GC, with due precautions. Now, in this case I do believe you might have abused a little bit by traveling twice a year every year...that might have been a little too much, I'm sure it would have looked a lot different had you traveled only a couple times in all those years. As for the reason of denial, I'm having problems trying to tie "LOYALTY" to your trips back home, one thing's got nothing to do with the other. I did a brief search on the internet about dual citizenship, and turns out that things aren't so clear in US law, specially when it comes to naturalized Citizens (you can look up this website and see what I'm talking about: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html ). I don't know what country you are from, but maybe that had something to do with it, maybe you got an IO that was having a bad day, has stereotypes about people with your nationality, maybe he wasn't amused about your frequent trips back home, maybe you panicked and didn't communicate well, maybe you failed to thoroughly explain your reasons for traveling home, maybe you didn't present enough proof for those trips. Still, I think not all is lost, you still have a chance, a good one if I might add, but make sure you get really good advice from a reputable lawyer.

Minsk said:
what if you haven't renewed your NP after it had expired? does it mean you lost your citizenship?

NO

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

jubilee said:
remember three facts:

I AGREE.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

copper1 said:
Where did you pop up from? We appreciate your positive advise regarding this matter but here is what I have to say, if you cannot go to COP after GC then you can never go even after citizenship. what's the difference? Now why can't they revoke your citizenship on basis of fraud? Seems like no one really talks abbout that. I am firm with my opinion due to my experiences. Althought I have not travelled back home but I was never a primary asylee as my mother had filed for asylum, although my GC states As6. I was 17 when I came here and now 11 years later I will go back if I have to. There is no law against it. Times have changed, I have changed and Govt has changed.

I've been a part of this forum for a few months. Let me know if that's enough.
What you are saying doesn't hold water. When you become a citizen of this country, then you will be automatically protected by it's government. That's one of the reasons why so many people want to become citizens, right? Now, I don't think it actually makes you safer when you travel abroad with a US passport, actually, quite the opposite in some cases, but having a US passport is definitely a good substantiation for daring to go to your COP.

Your case is different, based on the info you provided, you were a "derivative asylee" and theoretically, you could go to your old country, because you may not be threatened there, but again, you will be at mercy of an IO when you apply for USC.

jackdanie7 said:
First of all, what makes you think that the denial was because of your National Passport Renewal and visits to former country? To me, 'LOYALTY' sounds more like if you refused to take the oath of allegiance, OR if you said somewhere during your interview that you refuse:

1) to bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law.
2) to renounce all allegiance to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen. blah.. blah..
3) Etc

Of course I'm just speculating since I don't know the whole context of your interview. Either way, ask your lawyer, if he agreed to $5000 to handle your case, he should be able to easily explain to you what 'LOYALTY' means. I don't think a real lawyer will give you a quote unless they know what kind of work is involved.

Based on the information that you posted, I don't think they are accusing you of fraud. If they are, you will get a chance to appeal and they will not have given you the option to wait for 10 months to reapply.

Regards.

Exactly.... everybody is beating the wrong horse here ... visiting COP or renewing NP doesn't sound like "loyalty" reason to be denied
Without further details I'm just guessing not registering for SSS..

There could be a million things… Eshaan, I honestly think you are jumping to conclusion too fast... Calm down and think what you said during your interview. You need to call USCIS and find out from what is the basis of rejection and then go from there. It could be as simple as you having to wait 10 months before you can submit another N-400 because you said something that you weren't supposed to say at your interview. :)

Don’t go into a lawyer’s office in a panic mode babbling things like "my former lawyer told me it’s okay to renew my national passport"; "he also said it’s okay to visit COP," etc.. What you’re actually doing is giving him your own conclusion the minute you walk into his office. All he has to do is agree with you, and he has you hooked. He can then blow all the smoke up your behind and be certain that you will still believe him. Why won't you believe him if you yourself made that conclusion the minute you walked into his office? Remember that you are paying him, not the other way around! You are the CEO, and he is the Corporate Counsel.. :) All you have to do is go to his office, show him the letter and ask “what’s this.. which part of the Immigration and Nationality Act are we're dealing with here?" Let him do the talking... if his explanation doesn't make sense, bid farewell, and move on to the next lawyer.

Best of luck.

Let us know what happens.

I think Jackdanie7 made an excellent point here: let the lawyer do the talking. Don't let your panic cloud the lawyer's judgement.

inline said:
I've been a part of this forum for a few months. Let me know if that's enough.
What you are saying doesn't hold water. When you become a citizen of this country, then you will be automatically protected by it's government. That's one of the reasons why so many people want to become citizens, right? Now, I don't think it actually makes you safer when you travel abroad with a US passport, actually, quite the opposite in some cases, but having a US passport is definitely a good substantiation for daring to go to your COP.

Your case is different, based on the info you provided, you were a "derivative asylee" and theoretically, you could go to your old country, because you may not be threatened there, but again, you will be at mercy of an IO when you apply for USC.

Let's see how much they are going to protect a naturalized citizen outside of United States. Let me tell you something, its not about protection. We are talking about fraud, if they can take your GC away stating your asylum app was fraud that lead to GC and eventually citizenship. Remember, naturalized citizens are no better than any other immigrant when it comes to immigration. For Federal crimes they can revoke yoru citizenship and deport you.

I am sure the link below will help you.

Losing Your US Citizenship

There are several reasons why a naturalized US citizen could lose his or her US citizenship. We feel it’s important to summarize these reasons. As a naturalized citizen, you went to all the trouble to get your US citizenship in the first place. We’d hate to see you lose it merely because you did something wrong you did not know about.

Involuntarily Losing Your US Citizenship (Denaturalization)

Both the State Department and the USCIS have specfic laws and regulations they must follow in determining whether someone’s US citizenship should be taken away.

1. Convicted For An Act Of Treason Against The United States

Treason is a serious crime, and the Constitution defines the requirements for convicting someone of treason. Treason is waging a violent war against the United States in cooperation with a foreign country or any organized group. It includes assisting or aiding any foreign country or organization in taking over or destroying this country including abolishing the Constitution. Treason also consists of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the US government or of betraying our government into the hands of a foreign power. If you are caught and convicted of treason, you can pretty much count on losing your US citizenship as well as serving lots of jail time.

2. Holding A Policy Level Position In A Foreign Country

If you become an elected official or hold a policy-level position (like an ambassador, cabinet minister, or any high level administrative position where you make government policy) in your native country or a foreign country, you run the risk of losing your US citizenship. On the other hand, if you hold a non-policy level job like working in your native country’s embassy or working for your native country’s government in an advisory or purely administrative capacity, you run little risk of jeopardizing your US citizenship. For further information, see the State Department’s circular: ADVICE ABOUT POSSIBLE LOSS OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND SEEKING PUBLIC OFFICE IN A FOREIGN STATE.

3. Serving In Your Native Country’s Armed Forces If That Country Is Engaged In Hostilities Or At War With The United States

If your native country is engaged in hostile actions or is at war with America you need to be extremely careful. The US government will attempt to take away your US citizenship if they find out you are either aiding or serving in your native country’s armed forces in any capacity. Alternatively, the US government could try to nail you with a treason conviction and then strip you of your US citizenship.

4. Serving In Your Native Country’s Armed Forces As An Officer Or A Non-Commissioned Officer

If your native country is not at war with or engaged in hostilities towards the US, then serving in your native country’s armed forces is OK as long as you are not an officer or non-commissioned officer (usually the rank of sergeant or above). Serving as a civilian worker in your native country’s armed forces, or serving as an enlisted man or women are generally acceptable. For further information, see the State Department’s circular: ADVICE ABOUT POSSIBLE LOSS OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND FOREIGN MILITARY SERVICE.

The State Department has set several administrative guidelines for dual citizens to follow in order to avoid losing their US citizenship ( ADVICE ABOUT POSSIBLE LOSS OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND DUAL NATIONALITY ). The four reasons for losing US citizenship cited above were taken from these guidelines. We strongly suggest that you carefully review these guidelines if you are planning on maintaining dual citizenship. As you review the guidelines keep in mind that the State Department is primarily referring to native-born US citizens who become dual citizens by being naturalized in another foreign country. The guidelines are also applicable to naturalized US citizens who maintain their original citizenship.

5. Lying To The USCIS During The Naturalization Process

If you deliberately withheld information from or misrepresented information given to the USCIS or INS when filing your N-400, the USCIS may cancel your Certificate of Naturalization and revoke your US citizenship. This includes withholding information and misrepresenting yourself during your naturalization interview or oath ceremony. If your Certificate of Naturalization is cancelled and your US citizenship revoked, you may also find yourself facing criminal prosecution as well as deportation proceedings.

For example, if you lived outside the country for four months and deliberately omitted this absence from your N-400 and the USCIS finds out about it after you’re naturalized, they could move to have your Certificate of Naturalization cancelled. All they would need to show is that your absence would have disqualifed you from or materially affected your naturalization due to the “physical presence in the United States” requirement for naturalization applicants.

You may also lose your US citizenship if you withheld information or misled the USCIS or INS when becoming a permanent resident. If within five years of becoming a permanent resident, the USCIS finds out that you withheld information from them or misled them in order to obtain your green card, the USCIS may also strip you of your US citizenship. Of course, after five years from becoming a permanent resident, the only way the USCIS would be able to take away your US citizenship would be if you withheld or misrepresented yourself during the naturalization process.

The above examples illustrates why you need to be both truthful and accurate when filing for naturalization and permanent residency. You don’t want to give the USCIS any ammunition they could use against you later if they or someone else (like a politician or government bureaucrat) is looking for any means to get rid of you.

6. Refusal To Testify Before Congress About Your Subversive Activities

We included this legal provision for completeness. If you refuse to testify before Congress within ten years of being naturalized regarding your involvement in any subversive activities, the Attorney General can move to have your US citizenship revoked [ 8 USC 1451(a) ]. Subversive activities are not well defined but include activities such as spying, belonging to a terrorist or other organization wanting to overthrow the US, or other activities aimed at undermining our government [50 USC 783 & 843, 18 USC Ch. 115]. Of course, if you do testify before Congress about your subversive activities, you may still lose your citizenship if your testimony is later used to convict you of treason.

US Courts and Immigration Attorneys as Safeguards

Fortunately, it’s not as easy to take away your citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization as the law reads. Even if you were not entirely truthful or forthcoming during the naturalization process, the USCIS just can’t arbitrarily revoke your citizenship. Citizenship is one of those fundamental rights that our third branch of government (the judicial branch) takes very seriously. It appears the USCIS runs into difficulty with the federal courts when the USCIS revokes someone’s citizenship without giving the accused his or her day in court (no matter how blatant the violation of the law, see - Challenge to INS Denaturalization Procedure ).

In other words, the only way you are going to lose your US citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization is in a federal court and by a federal judge, who is appointed for life, makes good money, and is answerable to no politician or government bureaucrat no matter how on popular the judge's decision turns out to be.

If any of these situations listed apply to you now or could in the future, we strongly suggest you seek the legal advice of an immigration attorney experienced in US citizenship law. Your US citizenship is too valuable to risk losing because you don’t fully understand the law and the possible consequences of your actions. Here is a brief listing of websites for immigration attorneys:

American Immigration Lawyers Association ILW.com: The Immigration Portal

Open Directory (Google) - Immigration Lawyers

Voluntarily Losing Your US Citizenship (Renunciation)

After becoming a naturalized US citizen, you always have the option of renouncing your US citizenship. Beware though, if you renounce US citizenship, you will most likely be barred from living in the United States (there are exceptions), and can never become a US citizen again.

In order to renounce your US citizenship, you have to physically be outside the US and it’s possessions when renouncing. So if you ever plan on renouncing your citizenship, make sure you have a country to live in (no doubts about your citizenship and residency status) and renounce your US citizenship there. For further information, see the State Department’s circular: Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship.

Can a person voluntarily renounce their US citizenship and still live in the US? Can you get your green card back or a new green card? The answer to these questions is technically yes, but it is going to be a legally complicated process. You will most definitely need the advice and help of an immigration attorney to attempt such a legal maneuver. You will still have to renounce your US citizenship outside the US, and then need some type of visa or immigration papers to return to the US as a resident. Keep in mind, the US government will probably resist you every legal step of the way, and there is no guarantee of success. For further information, see the State Department’s circular: RENUNCIATION OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP BY PERSONS CLAIMING A RIGHT OF RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Voluntarily renouncing your US citizenship should not be taken lightly. Once you renounce your citizenship, it is nearly impossible to get it back. You will lose all the benefits of US citizenship including US residency and your US passport, and you will likely still be held responsible for paying any past, current or future US taxes (which is the primary reason why most people want to renounce their US citizenship). For further information, see the State Department’s circular: LOSS OF NATIONALITY AND TAXATION (please scroll down to this topic after you open this web page).

What if I lose my Certificate of Naturalization?

Losing your Certificate of Naturalization is not the same as losing US citizenship. You haven’t lost your citizenship—all you lost is your proof of citizenship. Of course, if the USCIS can’t find your naturalization records, you may have some problems proving your citizenship and could face detention and deportation proceedings. That’s why we highly recommend making backup copies of your Certificate of Naturalization and storing the original in a secure place (see Securely Store Your Certificate of Naturalization for more information).

If, after all the precautions we recommended to you about storing and protecting your Certificate of Naturalization, your certificate is somehow lost or destroyed, well guess what, you’ re going to have to deal with the USCIS all over again to get it replaced. Please go to USCIS: Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document.

Good luck and please be patient. It usually takes at least a year to get a new certificate.

Websites With Further Information On Losing Your US Citizenship

CHANG & BOOS - LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP AND DUAL NATIONALITY A good summary of the recent policy changes to dual citizenship in the US and how, as a dual citizen, you can lose your US citizenship (uses Canadians as an example, but the legal principles generally apply to other countries that allow dual citizenship like Mexico or Italy for example).

The following website by the US embassy in Australia has an excellent summary regarding the US policy on dual citizenship and losing US citizenship. U.S. Policy on Dual Nationality

State Department’s website: Citizenship and Nationality

Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) : The laws pertaining to loss of citizenship (or loss of nationality) and revocation of naturalization are found in Sections (ACT) 340 and 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The regulations and procedures that the federal government are required to follow when implementing any law such as the Immigration and Nationality Act are found in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Click here for the corresponding CFRs pertaining to Sections 340 and 349 of the INA. The CFR part numbers will be the same as the INA section numbers.

http://www.newcitizen.us/losing.htm