citizenship denied due to divorce?

waitingon

Registered Users (C)
Hi all, I applied for citizenship a little over a year ago and waited and waited finally I got a response from the senator office saying that it is under extrat background check and it has to do with how the green card originally obtained). Well, I obtained the green card through faithful marriage but got divorced 9 months later due to her sister messing up her mind. My GC application was in process for 2 years and they did not approve it the first time until we submitted additional information like a letter from her family..etc. Any advise what to do here? Thanks

Hi all, I applied for citizenship a little over a year ago and waited and waited finally I got a response from the senator office saying that it is under extrat background check and it has to do with how the green card originally obtained). Well, I obtained the green card through faithful marriage but got divorced 9 months later due to her sister messing up her mind. My GC application was in process for 2 years and they did not approve it the first time until we submitted additional information like a letter from her family..etc. Any advise what to do here? Thanks

Divorce due to sister in law messing with spouse's mind?

Did you have to file appeal to remove conditions after the first time resulted in denial?

Thanks for your reply. Well, we were living in another state and her sister had her to move to where she lives for many reasons, I was suppose to move to but i had to finish my last semester at school, then follow her. Then her sister stared filling her head with BS.

I did not have to remove conditions because at the time of the intreview we had been married for over two years.

no I have not had intreview yet

Have you contacted USCIS Ombudsman to inquire about your case?
Have you considered filing WOM to get your case moving?

well, I have contacted ombdusman but all I got it is under review. My question here is how my divorce will affect my citizenship application before I file WOM

well, I have contacted ombdusman but all I got it is under review. My question here is how my divorce will affect my citizenship application before I file WOM

Your divorce wouldn't affect citizenship application since you're applying under 5 year rule. It's standard for USCIS to launch an investigation when GC was obtained via marriage but ended in divorce soon after.

Thanks for everyone. I am thinking about filing WOM but I heared that I have to wait for at least a year and a half

what kind of investigation they do if they have everything in the file since day 1
You got divorced after receiving your green card. So they don't have everything since day 1; they only found out about the divorce when you applied for citizenship. The trouble is that they are being lazy with their investigation.

You got divorced after receiving your green card. So they don't have everything since day 1; they only found out about the divorce when you applied for citizenship.
They must have known about divorce since USCIS didn't approve GC the first time around.

Similar situation

Hey,
would really like to kno how it went for you, have a kind of similar situation.
thanx

so, he was married for 9 months in total?

By the way, what is WOM?

Re: Good Faith

OP got divorced 9 months after obtaining GC.

Writ of Mandamus. A lawsuit that compels USCIS to take action on a case when they are taking too long.

So so you have to submit anything as proof during citizenship interview if u ended up in divorce after getting green card. What can you do show that your marriage was in good faith? What if you have not saved many of your documents after divorce? can they just revoke your green card like that or would they have to prove that you did something wrong? with whome does the burden of proof lie here?
response will be appreciated thanx

So so you have to submit anything as proof during citizenship interview if u ended up in divorce after getting green card. What can you do show that your marriage was in good faith? What if you have not saved many of your documents after divorce? can they just revoke your green card like that or would they have to prove that you did something wrong? with whome does the burden of proof lie here?
response will be appreciated thanx
Evidence of bona vide marriage can include affidavits from friends, utility bills in joint names, tax receipts filed as married, etc. They can't just revoke your GC. They would first schedule a hearing where you are given the chance to prove yourself.