Citizenship application question: 3 year rule or 5 year rule.

Ashwinco

Hi All. I hope someone can help me with this. Question. I am a US citizen and my wife got her GC in 2011. We were already married more than 2 years at that time she got a her GC. Her GC expires in 2021. last week a friend of mine who saw my wife's GC said that my wife was eligible to apply for citizenship 2 years ago under the 3 year rule. I didn't know about this rule till my friend told us about it. I always thought it was 5 years, since I had to wait 5 years. In August of this year(2016) it will be 5 years since she got her GC. Should she apply under the 3 year rule or 5 year rule? will there be a problem with immigration if she apply under the 3 year rule?

Last edited:
If she qualifies for both, she should apply under the 5-year rule. Also not that she can apply 90 days before she reaches 5 years (or 3 years).

If she became a permanent resident before Oct 16, 2011, and hasn't been on a trip outside the US for 6 months, she can apply now.

I applied under the 3 year married to US citizen and I got my Green Card 9 years ago. I wasn't sure at the time which to choose either. I have read it does not matter lets hope so.Ive already had my Biometrics done I'm waiting for the interview notice. Sent my application in in May.