Citizenship and N-400

gc11111

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I have a question on behalf of my sister in law. It could be a dumb question as I am really new to this topic ( I am still struggling with GC! ).

1.My sister in law is in US on GC based on marriage since July 99. Is it common and easy enough to apply N-400 ourselves or is better to take help of some attorney?

2. Is N-400 the only form you have to fill for citizenship or are there any other forms.

3. After staying 5 years with GC , is she still dependent on her husband for applying citizenship. If she gets divorced right now, can she still become a citizen or would there be any issue with her Green Card.

My questions may be easy for you guys but I will appereciate your answers.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
gc11111 said:
1.My sister in law is in US on GC based on marriage since July 99. Is it common and easy enough to apply N-400 ourselves or is better to take help of some attorney?

Let me suggest something... Fill the form yourself (or herself), and then hire a good attorney for an hour or two to review your application.

If your SIL has any complications in her case (out of status, etc.) then surely go through an attorney.

gc11111 said:
2. Is N-400 the only form you have to fill for citizenship or are there any other forms.

Yes, there are other forms. Read instructions to N-400, and you will understand it yourself. For example... if you need to request for disability waiver, the Form N-648 needs to be filled. Every one's case is different, so research yourself by reading the instructions in N-400.

gc11111 said:
3. After staying 5 years with GC , is she still dependent on her husband for applying citizenship. If she gets divorced right now, can she still become a citizen or would there be any issue with her Green Card.

Speak with an attorney. There is no simple YES or NO answer here.

----------------------------
Vote Bush '04

dsfgh100 said:
Let me suggest something... Fill the form yourself (or herself), and then hire a good attorney for an hour or two to review your application.

If your SIL has any complications in her case (out of status, etc.) then surely go through an attorney.

Yes, there are other forms. Read instructions to N-400, and you will understand it yourself. For example... if you need to request for disability waiver, the Form N-648 needs to be filled. Every one's case is different, so research yourself by reading the instructions in N-400.

Speak with an attorney. There is no simple YES or NO answer here.

Vote Bush '04

Remember one more important thing..... don't go with what you hear on this board. As much as I know what I am saying, there could be others who might give you wrong and incorrect information.

Live happy.

Vote Bush '04

JoeF said:
You are a slanderer. Get off this board.

What nonsense is this? Calling some one slanderer without reason is slander in itself. Any one who reads this post can see that I have answered question asked, and discussed immigration. That is before JoeF decides to disturb everyone with his false and malicious accusation.

Thanks dsfgh100, JoeF for quick reply..

My SIL case is straight forward. She is married since 1994 to current husband and got GC in 1999 and has been staying in US contineously since then. She has only been to India couple of times for 1-3 months. So I think we can fill the application ourselves.

By the way.. is there a site which tells the date of N-400 being processed. What is typical time taken currently ? I looked at INS processing dates, but it doesnt have N-400 in it.

Thanks

gc11111 said:
Thanks dsfgh100, JoeF for quick reply..

My SIL case is straight forward. She is married since 1994 to current husband and got GC in 1999 and has been staying in US contineously since then. She has only been to India couple of times for 1-3 months. So I think we can fill the application ourselves.

By the way.. is there a site which tells the date of N-400 being processed. What is typical time taken currently ? I looked at INS processing dates, but it doesnt have N-400 in it.

Thanks

Lookup the uscis.gov site. It is some where in there. Look for time between NOA and oath. It is listed for each DO. Those statistics are updated every month. You might want to follow it over a period of time to understand the trend.

Live free, live happy.

Vote Bush '04

JoeF said:
You are a slanderer. And don't play innocent. You know exactly in which thread you slandered me.
Get off this board.

dsfgh100,

If you want to coexist (like you usually say) act normally. If not remember
that instant Karma is a pain in the butt. :(

JohnKerry said:
dsfgh100,

If you want to coexist (like you usually say) act normally. If not remember
that instant Karma is a pain in the butt. :(

JohnKerry. By that definition, you are instant Karma?

Vote Bush '04

JoeF, Are you OK????? People start to think you are going insane by repeating same thing again and again. Want marbles???

Vote Bush '04

JoeF. If you stop harrassing me, maybe the number of posts per day would drop down to 2 or 3 per day. Have you thought of that???

Vote Bush '04

JoeF my friend. How are you doing today? Feeling better? Hang-over passed?

Vote Bush '04