Child born in the USA while on TN

Adamkheil

Registered Users (C)
Is my child a US or Canadian citizen? or both? My wife is a non-Canadian and non US. Can I apply for both US and Canadian citizenship for my child?

By being borm in the US, your child is automatically a US citizen; nothing to apply for, but s/he can get a US passport if you wish.

Unless you are Cdn by virtue of being born outside Canada to a Canadian citizen parent, your child is also automatically a Cdn citizen, too. It is a good idea to apply for proof of this, namely a Cdn citizenship card, as this can take a year or so to process.

You are assuming third country rules here Triple. We would need need to know what the mother's nationality is/are and how citizenship is passed under those countries laws.

In fact, there could be a fourth citizenship (if adam has another citizenship), but again, way too much assumption going on.

Let's stick with what we know: Automatic Dual US/Cdn citizenship.

Just a note while we are on the subject. As of april 2009, the child cannot pass on Cdn citizenship, since it was born outside canada (ie. is Cdn by descent). Children born to this child can only be Cdn if (a) that child is born in canada, or (b) the other parent is Cdn by birth or naturalization (but not by descent). [This is similar to the existing british model of citizenship by descent]

just trying to understand what nelson said:

Child "A" born in USA.
his both parents were canadian through naturalization.

the children born to Child "A" in USA were also considered Canadian as the child "A" was Canadian through naturalization?

thats the confusing part here.

No. Child "A" is Cdn by descent. This is a term used in citizenship.

Grandchild "B" cannot inherit his Cdn citizenship from Child "A", since "A" was neithr born nor naturalized Cd.. "B" can only be Cdn by (a) being born in canada, (b) having the other parent be Cdn by either birth or naturalization, or (c) move to canada later and natuarlize themselves.