Check out my employer's lawyer's email reagrding TN to Greencard - Need your help!

BigJoe,
You are right about the employer does not want to bother with my case but not because they prefer TNs and they don't sponsor. Currently my employer is about to start a batch of PERMs after 4 years of not doing it for anyone, and I am trying to get into this batch. Basically my employer is too conservative and does not want to take any risks.

BigJoe,
You are right about the employer does not want to bother with my case but not because they prefer TNs and they don't sponsor. Currently my employer is about to start a batch of PERMs after 4 years of not doing it for anyone, and I am trying to get into this batch. Basically my employer is too conservative and does not want to take any risks.

I wish you luck in convincing the employer to file for you.

If it is not too forward....what is your profession (for your TN status)? Might it be easier to obtain another position with another employer in a different visa category?

I wish you luck in convincing the employer to file for you.

If it is not too forward....what is your profession (for your TN status)? Might it be easier to obtain another position with another employer in a different visa category?

Engineer. I've been with this employer for over 7 years. They had already got me H1-B before and I have used up my 6 years and had to switch back to TN.

Just on what TRC has been saying: TRC is correct in stating the portion of the INA that you are hanging your argument on has no bearing on TN to GC, since it simply states that H and L are allowed dual intent. We know that. It says nothing about other non-immigrant statuses.

On BigJoe's quote: It also has no bearing on adjusting from TN, since it refers to entry on TN. We all know that entry on TN after filing AOS is verboten. But entries prior to this are not, nor are entries prior to a consular GC interview.

TN to GC without the intermediate step of H1 is common, done, and fully lawful.

The problem - as bigJoe points out -- that Ottawa will have is convincing his sponsor and their ignorant lawyer. Sadly he wasn't even able to convince them when he was on H1 to begin the process, when he could have stayed H1 forever until AOS. You may have to get a TN savvy lawyer like Grasmick or Zuccaro to write an opinion for them to get the ball moving. Money well spent.

100's of other tNs have gone this route, so to say it is illegal is just plain stupid on the lawyers part.

BigJoe,

Unfortunately, 4 years ago was when you should have been pressing this guy to PERM you. You had H1, why did they bother to put you on H1 if they weren't going to get you GC?

One thing you might look at is going back thru your H1 history and counting the days that you were not in H1 (time spent initialy in TN, each day spent outside US, time at the end when you went to TN), if you can muster up some time, you can ask the boss the perm you now, on TN, and thenmove you back to H1 so that your fian lH1 will expire a year after PERM (or when I-140 is apporved, which ever is shorter), then you can extend H1 forever.

Remember, there is always the rule that if you H1 is expiring and you have a PERM older than a year, or an approved I-140, you are eligible for as many H1 extensions as you need until you get your GC.

Your lawyer will probably faint if you try to outline this to him, since this is outside the box thinking tha tis far beyond his ability.

Is this good enough to prove to him that I can adjust status from TN to GC?

The following 2 quotes should be enough to convey the message that TN status can apply for an I-140:

"The fact that an alien is the beneficiary of an approved I-140 petition may not be, in and of itself, a reason to deny an application for admission, readmission, or extension of stay [under TN status] if the alien’s intent is to remain in the United States temporarily. Nevertheless, because the Service must evaluate each application on a case-by-case basis with regard to the alien’s intent, this factor may be taken into consideration along with other relevant factors every time that a TN nonimmigrant applies for admission, readmission or a new extension of stay. Therefore, while it is our opinion that a TN nonimmigrant may apply for readmission in the TN classification, if the inspecting officer determines that the individual has abandoned his or her temporary intent, that individual’s application for admission as a TN nonimmigrant may be refused."
Letter from Yvonne M. LaFleur, Chief, INS Business & Trade Services Branch
(posted on AILA InfoNet as “I-140 Filing Not Dispositive for TN” (June 18, 1996)).

"After considerable discussion between the Nebraska Service Center and AILA's NSC Liaison Committee, the NSC now indicates that the filing of an immigrant petition is simply one factor to consider in the adjudication of a TN extension, and should not automatically result in a denial. The NSC, which has exclusive jurisdiction over TN applications made on Form I-129, had previously indicated that NSC adjudicators were being told to deny TN applications if an I-140 immigrant petition has been filed on the individual's behalf. The basis of the denial had been that the individual no longer has nonimmigrant intent."
AILA InfoNet, “NSC Backs Off I-140/TN Policy Change” (posted on AILA InfoNet at Doc. No. 02111431 (Nov. 14, 2002).

As for what happens when you've applied for I-485? Once the I-485 is filed, you will remain in TN/TD status until one of the following happens:
a) Your TN expires. You and your family are all in AOS Pending status now. Use your EAD and AP accordingly.
b) Your spouse or children’s TD expires but your TN has not. They are now in AOS Pending status, depending on which one expired. They should use their EAD and AP accordingly.
c) You leave the US and reenter using your AP (Note: you cannot reenter using your TN). You and your family are all in AOS Pending status now. Use your EAD and AP accordingly.
d) Either your son/daughter or your wife leave the US and reenter using their AP, but you are not with them on the trip. They are now in AOS Pending status. They should use their EAD and AP accordingly. You are still in TN status.
e) You use your EAD to work at a different job, or at a secondary job. You and your family are all in AOS Pending status now. Use your EAD and AP accordingly.
f) Your spouse uses her EAD to work. She is in AOS Pending status now. (S)he should remember to use her AP instead of her TD when traveling. You are still on TN status.
g) You present your EAD to your current employer and file a new I-9. You and your family are all in AOS Pending status now.
h) You get laid off or quit without a new job lined up. You and your family are all in AOS Pending status now. Your family needs to use their EADs accordingly, and you all need to use an AP to travel instead of your TN/TD.
i) Your I-485 gets approved together with your family. You are now in permanent resident status. You and your family will use their Green Cards to travel.