Changing your name to an American one

clisp

Registered Users (C)
on N-400 theres a question about if you wanna change the name .... I wonder if thats gona slow the process in any shape or form ... after interview ... oath ... any possibility
and if anyone did it , how long does it take ???....please share your experiences or thoughts .

I am talking only the INS process ... not talkin about changing the name after in all the credit cards , banks, social security etc...

thanx

clisp said:
on N-400 theres a question about if you wanna change the name .... I wonder if thats gona slow the process in any shape or form ... after interview ... oath ... any possibility
and if anyone did it , how long does it take ???....please share your experiences or thoughts .

I am talking only the INS process ... not talkin about changing the name after in all the credit cards , banks, social security etc...

thanx

If you request a name change during your citizenship process, INS will do the paper work to be approved by the court. As a result, your oath will have to be scheduled at a District court and these courts normally hold oath ceremonies once a month with limited seatings. You will end up waiting for your turn. I strongly recommend NOT to change your name through this process, unless, you don't mind playing the waiting game.

clisp said:

thanx

Why do you want to change your name?

phillydude said:
If you request a name change during your citizenship process, INS will do the paper work to be approved by the court. As a result, your oath will have to be scheduled at a District court and these courts normally hold oath ceremonies once a month with limited seatings. You will end up waiting for your turn. I strongly recommend NOT to change your name through this process, unless, you don't mind playing the waiting game.

I agree with PD's comments. Additional information: Note that if you request a name change during your N-400 interview, USCIS does it as part of your application, and if you do change your name through the court system later, it may probably cost you about ~ $200.00