Change of TN status by port of entry

andrew_7

Hello, I am planning to go a nearest port to change my TN status as i have changed my employer...My query is can I go to a nearest port of entry from San Jose to exit USA and just re-enter USA without entering another country like Canada OR is it mandatory to enter Canada and re-enter USA?

Thanks,
Andrew

Its not mandatory but folks at non-Canada/US border crossings may or may not be at the same level (in terms of knowledge) as those on Canada/US border. I'd suggest calling ahead of time to ensure someone with TN knowledge is there when you show up

I haven't heard any problems at the Mexican POE's. For many years you had to call and make an appointment and not simply show up. That may or may not still be the case. So just call anyways like Mister sez.

Just remember that when you go to the border, you ARE first physically entering the other country, and then applying to re-enter US.

Just don't get the notion that you can go to SJC or the docks POE to do this.

And please tell me that you are still employed at your first TN. Never willingly give up that job until you secure the second one. Too many things can go wrong with the petition.

Thanks Nelsona for your reply. I got laid off with the current contract which ended on April 28 but actually it was suppose to end by November 30, 2016. Now i found full time job in USA so I am getting a new TN by crossing border. I am not sure with the current TN status would grant me new TN, so I am bit worried.

You have only been in US about 75 days out of status, so I would not worry about this (too late to do anything about it anyway). Just make sure you have an iron-clad petition, or you may have a new career selling Chiclets in Tijuana .

You have only been in US about 75 days out of status, so I would not worry about this (too late to do anything about it anyway). Just make sure you have an iron-clad petition, or you may have a new career selling Chiclets in Tijuana .

hahaha, hope that will not happen. I am just carrying employment letter to the border with education certificates...is there anything else that I need for iron-clad petition?

The employment letter should be a TN letter, not just a regular job offer.

Before you ask, I'm not going to describe what should be in a TN letter.