Change in Citizenship -> Impact on H1B

Nanda73

Hello:

I am an Indian Citizen who is a permanent resident of Canada. I just started the application process for a Canadian Citizenship and hope to get a canadian citizenship within a year. I intend to remain a Canadian Citizen after getting the citizenship. But, I am also planning to move to U.S. to take up an Assistant professor\'s position on a H1B Visa (This gives me the flexibility to apply for a permanant resident status in the U.S. in the future).

I presume that the H1B visa would be issued based on my Indian Passport. Does this visa remains valid after I get a Canadian Citizenship and passport? Should I mention the fact that my citizenship will change soon after I get a H1B visa? (I saw a similar question in the FAQ section, and I am trying add more flesh and details to that question).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Once you become canadian citizen

Once you become a canadian citizen, you don\'t need H-1B visa. You can go for TN visa which is more flexible and simple.

Spouse Visa

I am a non-immigrant worker holding an H1B currently working in USA. I am getting married to a Canadian Citizen in Canada. How can I bring her to USA after marriage? Does she require a visa to stay in the United States? Also can she fly to India from United States?
Can she work?? She has a degree in Degree in psychology and associates degree rehab therapist.

Would really appreciate any advice in this regard.

Thanks in advance
Chandra

Chandra and Nanda

Chandra:
Depends on where you are getting the marriage registered.
She is better off getting a H4 visa in her canadian passport. So it will be better if you (also) register the marriage in canada. She requires a visa to stay for a long period of time.
But if she plans to work - either the medical organization she intends to work should sponsor her H1 (or a H4 to h1 transfer) or she can enter in TN visa. To enter US in TN visa she needs a job offer, experience certificate , resume etc. But the visa is issued in an hour or so at the border. see http://www.grasmick.com/

Nanda:
After getting canadian citizenship when you cross the border into US you can switch to TN visa so that your application for PR will be counted under canada (faster,easier) than towards India (longer, tougher)
See the above link for help in TN visa. You need not inform INS about anything that might happen in the future. But to avoid any confusion (and possible fraud questions) after becoming canadian citizen, file an amendment to h1 or just use TN visa.