• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Certified Birth Certificate

gismito2000

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
Does anyone know what they mean by "certified" birth certificate? My wife was born in province so she had to claim for her birth certificate from far away. Now that we received the 2nd envelope, they mention that it must be "certified". Does it need any special stamp?

Rgds,
Gismito2000

Hello. You probably have alternate options to certify your birth certificate, but here is what I did:

--I made a copy of the original birth certificate
--I had the copy stamped by the Office of Records in my country, to prove autheticity (with a government stamp)
--I had the copy translated into English
Since I was living in the US and did AOS, I had the copy taken to the US Embassy and had the translation verified by officials there, obaining another stamp.

Ultimately, my birth certificate was stamped by both my country's government and by the US Embassy there.

Good luck to all.

gismito2000 said:
Hi all,
Does anyone know what they mean by "certified" birth certificate? My wife was born in province so she had to claim for her birth certificate from far away. Now that we received the 2nd envelope, they mention that it must be "certified". Does it need any special stamp?

Rgds,
Gismito2000

My second package also asked for Certified Birth Certificate and other few certified certificates. I asked through email the local US Embassy (Kuala Lumpur) to clarify what does they mean by "certified" and if required then "certification" from which authority is acceptable to them. I mentioned the list of my certificates and their issuing authorities to them so that they can give me specific suggestion. The Embassy replied that they did not need anything "certified" and they needed only the originals. Please note that an extra photocopy of each original and translation does not have to be notarised or certified, I confirmed with Embassy too. I successfuly completted my CP interview for DV2007 in early October 2007.

You can email your US Embassy as well to avoid any confusion.

Good luck.

-dreamer

Last edited by a moderator:
The word "Certified" in front of document titles is really confusing.
According to USCIS rules, all they normally need for foreign documents is the copy of the original document and the certified translation of that document. So, the word "certified" belongs with translations. Anyone who's fluent in both languages can translate a foreign document and certify it.
NO NOTARIZATION IS NEEDED!

However, it is a good idea to verify this with a local embassy. They might have thier own rules.

this confusion costed me $300 and bunch of nerves

I only brought certified translations to the interview, and was asked for the originals. Had to UPS them from U.S. to Poland in one day. I think they should state "Original Birth Certificate and Certified Translation" instead.

Certificates

When I called the embassy, I was told that only simple copies are needed. The lady said: "No special certifications nor translations"
Anyway, we are taking translations with us to the interview.....just in case

Hello ma friends,

birth certificate must be authorized sealed,with attasted by the following authorized person concerning to the location where you will get it and need to be original one.None english version must be into eng translation as that one no need to be certified as notorized or attasted by someone but translator must be liscenced by the goverment where you do it.Thats all.
thank you,