• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

CEAC data update

That is fine.
Ok Thank you. If I am in Canada, and I want to travel by car/bus to Detroit together with son, and from there to fly to Houston, do we show the passports with visas first in Detroit,
or only in Houston will they stamp them? These are Romanian passports with the visas, but we do have Canadian passports as well. The only reason to go to Detroit is because flights
are half price as those from Canada to Houston. I am not sure if this scenario from Detroit is even possible , or do I need to fly from outside US into US first? The tickets are safe to be
bought using the Romanian passports with the visas? I remember someone saying that some airlines do not accept these visas. or maybe I just remember wrong things...if they do not
accept, then how are we supposed to fly to US?

Well if you read the analysis, I point out that they are behind and that I do not think they will reach the regional quota....
OK got u sir. And another thing Mr simon am a bit confused with how case numbers are located as in how comes that a region gets 40000selectes and then u find case numbers going beyond 40s is it that numbers follow each other correspondingly or there's a point where numbers concentrate much

Well if you read the analysis, I point out that they are behind and that I do not think they will reach the regional quota....
OK got u sir. And another thing Mr simon am a bit confused with how case numbers are located as in how comes that a region gets 40000selectes and then u find case numbers going beyond 40s is it that numbers follow each other correspondingly or there's a point where numbers concentrate much so am just confessed with how case numbers are allocated

Ok Thank you. If I am in Canada, and I want to travel by car/bus to Detroit together with son, and from there to fly to Houston, do we show the passports with visas first in Detroit,
or only in Houston will they stamp them? These are Romanian passports with the visas, but we do have Canadian passports as well. The only reason to go to Detroit is because flights
are half price as those from Canada to Houston. I am not sure if this scenario from Detroit is even possible , or do I need to fly from outside US into US first? The tickets are safe to be
bought using the Romanian passports with the visas? I remember someone saying that some airlines do not accept these visas. or maybe I just remember wrong things...if they do not
accept, then how are we supposed to fly to US?

There's no reason you can't activate your visa at a land border. However it's pretty rare so give yourself plenty of time.

There's no reason you can't activate your visa at a land border. However it's pretty rare so give yourself plenty of time.[
what would I need plenty of time? u think it will be problem? if yes, I ll just fly from Canada directly...where is the passport stamped - at arrival? thanks

If you fly, Canadians have "pre-clearance" so you'll be stamped in Toronto. America has immigration offices inside most major Canadian airports and you actually enter the USA inside Canada. By the time you board your airplane you're inside the american immigration network and the flight is treated as US domestic thereafter, ie when you land in Texas you won't have to go through customs/immigration. Hope that makes sense.

No problem at a land border, they can do it, just give yourself like 4 or so hours. btw sometimes land border agents are meaner because they're used to searching peoples cars for contraband etc.

If you fly, Canadians have "pre-clearance" so you'll be stamped in Toronto. America has immigration offices inside most major Canadian airports and you actually enter the USA inside Canada. By the time you board your airplane you're inside the american immigration network and the flight is treated as US domestic thereafter, ie when you land in Texas you won't have to go through customs/immigration. Hope that makes sense.

No problem at a land border, they can do it, just give yourself like 4 or so hours. btw sometimes land border agents are meaner because they're used to searching peoples cars for contraband etc.

ok, thank you..if I fly I fly from Montreal as I am in Ottawa now, and it is much closer...would that be a POE? ..you mean pre-clearance is done by USA ? The only reason I wanted to go to Detroit, it is because flights are so much cheaper, but if you say we need to wait 4h , then it is not worth...we were only planning to go with car to Detroit airport and fly from there, but a 4h waiting time is not worth...

The only case I have ever heard of of an immigrant visa holder being refused entry to the U.S. by CBP, was at the U.S./Canadian border by road. I don't think it was a DV selectee though.

ok, thank you..if I fly I fly from Montreal as I am in Ottawa now, and it is much closer...would that be a POE? ..you mean pre-clearance is done by USA ? The only reason I wanted to go to Detroit, it is because flights are so much cheaper, but if you say we need to wait 4h , then it is not worth...we were only planning to go with car to Detroit airport and fly from there, but a 4h waiting time is not worth...

4 hours is just a guess. It might be 15 mins, however if you're in a queue for a long time you'll miss your flight.

Yes pre-clearance is immigration by the USA inside Canada or another country. It is a fully staffed US immigration office.

Montreal and Ottawa both have pre-clearance http://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

4 hours is just a guess. It might be 15 mins, however if you're in a queue for a long time you'll miss your flight.

Yes pre-clearance is immigration by the USA inside Canada or another country. It is a fully staffed US immigration office.

Montreal and Ottawa both have pre-clearance http://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

Hi , I am now decided to fly from Montreal to Houston, but there will be a stop either in Toronto or in USA. If the stop is in Toronto, where will the pre-clearance be done? If it is in Toronto, then I will probably need like 2-3h stop over. Do you know if it will be Montreal or Toronto?

Also, I am confused, because do we know to tell someone that we go on immigrant visas in airport in advance, or they will see it at pre-clearance..is pre-clearance before security?

My visas expires on 14 Jan, planning to leave on 30 Dec, but then I come back on 4 Jan..for 1-2 months..would that be ok? do I need to apply for re-entry permit?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi , I am now decided to fly from Montreal to Houston, but there will be a stop either in Toronto or in USA. If the stop is in Toronto, where will the pre-clearance be done? If it is in Toronto, then I will probably need like 2-3h stop over. Do you know if it will be Montreal or Toronto?

Also, I am confused, because do we know to tell someone that we go on immigrant visas in airport in advance, or they will see it at pre-clearance..is pre-clearance before security?

My visas expires on 14 Jan, planning to leave on 30 Dec, but then I come back on 4 Jan..for 1-2 months..would that be ok? do I need to apply for re-entry permit?

Thank you.

• If the stop is in Toronto, then Toronto. Montreal-Toronto is a Canada domestic leg.
  • If the stop is in USA then Montreal.
  • Pre-clearance is a full US immigration office. Just line up like everyone else and show your passports and envelopes. They'll tell you what to do. No need to think about it.
  • Re-entry permit is only for very long departures of a year or so. You're fine.

• If the stop is in Toronto, then Toronto. Montreal-Toronto is a Canada domestic leg.
  • If the stop is in USA then Montreal.
  • Pre-clearance is a full US immigration office. Just line up like everyone else and show your passports and envelopes. They'll tell you what to do. No need to think about it.
  • Re-entry permit is only for very long departures of a year or so. You're fine.
ok Thank you. I just looked at the paper I got with info, it says the cards can take up to 6 months to get and to inform immigration officer ifyou leave in 6 months..well I am planning to enter on 30 Dec and leave on 3 Jan..that seems not a good idea based on the info they provide...I will be back in February, or move to NY across the border with Canada on 1 Mar, and commute to my Canadian job (1h20min) if I do not get a job...will that be ok, do I have to tell the immigratiuon officer? I cannot just leave this job (thatpays well enough) for no job, unless it is no other choice..what do you think?

Hi Guys,
How does a person know where the social security office nearest to them is? For example in Astoria NY, how does one know the building to go to on first day to get that SS number?
Also, I understand that a ss card wont be issued immediately. However, will the staff at least tell me the ss number? Will they give me a paper which I can show an employer, showing that I am legal to work?
Finally, once I pass immigration and hand over the papers, xray etc to staff there, does my greencard automatically get sent to the address I gave at interview? I need to do nothing else? If I return to my country temporarily, could the recipient of the greencard simply mail it to me here in Europe?

Hi Guys,
How does a person know where the social security office nearest to them is? For example in Astoria NY, how does one know the building to go to on first day to get that SS number?
Also, I understand that a ss card wont be issued immediately. However, will the staff at least tell me the ss number? Will they give me a paper which I can show an employer, showing that I am legal to work?
Finally, once I pass immigration and hand over the papers, xray etc to staff there, does my greencard automatically get sent to the address I gave at interview? I need to do nothing else? If I return to my country temporarily, could the recipient of the greencard simply mail it to me here in Europe?
a) http://www.socialsecurityoffices.info/city/ny-Astoria
b) No, unfortunately Social Security Office won't be doing neither of those, you will have to wait until the card is in the mail.
c) Green Card will be sent to the address you provided on your DS-260 or one you can update when activating your Green Card upon entry (provided you paid the USCIS fee).
d) Theoretically yes, make sure your full name will be on the mail box at Green Card mailing address, though.

Thanks for that reply Euro.
So you mean to say I wont have a ss number for those first few weeks? How can employers take me seriously when I tell them I don't have a ss number (yet)?
Also, I will be staying at hostels/hotels at first. What address can I give them to send my ss card to?
Thanks.

Thanks for that reply Euro.
So you mean to say I wont have a ss number for those first few weeks? How can employers take me seriously when I tell them I don't have a ss number (yet)?
Also, I will be staying at hostels/hotels at first. What address can I give them to send my ss card to?
Thanks.
a) Employers will request I-9 information from you at the end of the hiring process http://www.uscis.gov/i-9 and for conducting background checks etc. before completing the hiring process. Unfortunately you won't have a credit history at that stage. If you are being asked as part of the application process, which should not be the case, confirm that you will have received all your information for completing the I-9.
b) What US address did you provide in your DS-260? You definitely don't want your Green Card to be sent to a hostel or hotel. Can't be a PO Box neither. In order to establish Permanent Residential Status in the US you will need a real US address.

Thanks for info re. I-9.
Re. address; at interview I gave address of a close relative in the midwest. However I am not going out there. I'm going to NYC, as I feel there might be better work opportunities there.