category upgrade for green card petition

nish03

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My dad had filed a petition for me back in 2002 as under the unmarried Son/Daughter of a resident alien category. He has recently naturalized and is now a US citizen.

My question is this: do I need to notify USCIS about his naturalization or can I just wait for my priority date to become current (it should be current in about 2 months) and file for 485 and send them a copy of naturalization then?

Please advice. Thanks.

Send a copy of the naturilization certificate along with receipt notice and case number to USCIS to upgrade status.
Also you should file once the priority is current.

I am in the US and I am still single. Would the USCIS contact me a few months before my priority date asking me about my prefrence for AOS or counsulate processing?

Firstly, your father needs to write a letter to NVC. Inform them of his naturalisation and your new address in the US. Then keep an eye out on the priority date for your new category, F1. As soon as it is current, you file for AOS.

Thanks for your response. Actually, I've always been in the US (I am on an H1-b right now). His lawyer had written a letter to USCIS about his change of status back in May but he hasn't heard back from them yet.

Category upgrade

My father applied for my GC when he was a permenant resident, now he became citizen, I am still unmarried, but what i heard is, if I get married now my category will change to Citizen filing for married daughter and me and my husband will both get at the same time, is that true?