Canadian Marrying a USA Citizen, What is needed?

EsmeGrahamz

Hello
I have known my boyfriend since February of this year in June or July I started to do the process of getting my Passport to come up to the USA to visit him and meet him in person.

I have been in the USA and staying with him since late August and know I can stay here for 6 months which would be late February 2017 of when I would need to go back to Canada.

Being with him is amazing and now we are considering getting married since i read somewhere this "But if you get married after arriving in this way, and apply for a green card, USCIS will take a look at your U.S. entry to see whether you misused your entry rights. They'll look especially hard if you got married within two months of your U.S. entry."

So we both wanted to wait after the 2 months to consider getting married now we might wait another month just to show my intent wasn't coming here just to marry him for USA Citizenship based of marriage but we would like to know now what we need if anything.

I am here as a Visitor and I do know that we can get married then apply for change of status and then everything after the marriage.

But what is needed for the marriage itself? Do we only need to go to the court house and get a marriage licence and get married by the court or justice of the peace? then consummate the marriage to make it offical?

Also when I crossed the USA Border I told them I was coming down for a friends wedding which I did attend and he came with be but also because I know they like to red flag anyone who mentions of a boyfriend, fiance or such without a K1 Visa and I didn't want to wait 6-8 months for that just to meet him in person

So another question is would they check my Facebook or anything to see I been with him since I crossed the USA Border?

Last edited:
Don't worry about immigrant intent as Adjustment of Status for Immediate Relatives cannot be denied for immigrant intent alone. What matters is you did not lie to an immigration officer.

As for marriage, that depends on the state's local procedures, and immigration status is irrelevant. Usually, you fill out a form at the county registrar (or whatever office handles marriage certificates in your state) to apply for a marriage license (you will probably need to have some form of ID), which is a "license" (i.e. permission) to get married. Then, you need to have someone authorized to officiate marriages in your state officiate at your wedding. That is the point at which you become married. Then the official and witness fill in the forms to document the marriage and turn that in to the country registrar, and it is recorded and later at any time you can apply for one or more copies of a marriage certificate, which is a certified copy of the marriage record.

Thanks for that advice now what would be best waiting until after I been here for 3 months or getting married since it has been 2 months today? I called the clerks office where I live and they basically said all I need is my ID and that a Judge would grant the marriage.

Then the court does marriages every Friday at 9:00 am there booked for this Friday but I believe we could book for another day, How long are the marriage license good for like if we picked on up on Thursday how long would it be good to use use it for?

Another Question: Just for say IF the Wedding had been postponed or canceled and I didn't know about this until after I crossed the border could it be used against me that there was no wedding?

Just so that I have everything in case they try to say Well we couldn't find a marriage between these two people or such of my friends.

Last edited: