Canadian citizenship - the oath, the citizenship judge...

monster28

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask that we share some experiences about the oath and the questions asked by an immigration judge, or citizenship judge for that matter. Most of us here are working in the US while maintaining Canadian residency and I thought this kind of discussion would be useful.

Please share:
- how long did you wait from the time you applied to the time you got called to take the test and got sworn in?
- where did you apply for citizenship?
- what kind of questions were you asked (if any) about you absences from Canada, about working in the US?
- how does immigration Canada react to people who were on returning resident permits at the time of obtaining citizenship?

Thank you,
Monster28

Although I am not at that stage yet, but I have the same questions and one more

If you notice the application has a question
"Did you obtain permanent resdence in any other country" (while being a Canadian PR.

What should a person answer if he did or is in the process of getting it.

I am also sailing in the same boat...wondering how u will..

I am also working in USA..Now It\'s time for applying for Canadian citizenship(3 years over).Now I have to go to Canada..and start the process. I heard that it is taking almost one year to get now..depending on the place you apply from.
Initially..I have to drive to canada..If you are in usa how u will go to Canada?

We\'re on the same boat

I think that we should put "yes" and tell the truth. If you don\'t tell them and they find out you have US GC, you may get a big trouble. Think about it, if u answer "yes" and because of that reason (timeline) they don\'t give u Canadian citizenship, at least you do not cheat on them and they won\'t put u in criminal record. You can still keep valid US PR status and can apply US citizenship without any illegal issue from other country.

When you landed to Canada, they should know where did u come from (based on your original application). Since too many H-1 holders from US apply immigration to Canada but come back to work and get US GC, I believe that the Canadian government may check those cases very carefully. My conclusion is to see which country I really want to keep the PR status.

we\'re on the same boat

What you said correct..But I\'m not sure whether my GC process will go thru successfully or not..It is still in Labour stage only..So kind of confused ...That\'s why to be safe side i want to go with canadian citizenship.
What do u say?

Drive to Canada

sreeya, I will suggest u drive to Canada. Don\'t take by air or bus, coz they may stamp on your passport for entry record plus they will ask u some questions such as where do u live, about ur job, etc. You should go with ur friend either w/ US GC or citizenship or Canadian PR or citizenship. Other than that, they will ask u guys more questions and send u to the custom/immigration office to check the record.

But how to fill in

the "addresses in the last 4 years" in the application

That is one more issue. It would be very hard to prove you have a residence etc if you lived in US.

Fortunately this is not a problem for me, but I have received my US GC although not accepted it (i.e. got the passport stamped)

Sreeya, where did you hear about it taking one year?

I am in the toronto area. As far as I know the citizrnship applications is dealt with at one office, I think it is in Nova Scotia.
What I have heard is a few months.

No Title

Oh..I have no clear idea about this but...One of my friends got it recently after starting the process..it took almost 10 months.
How about your process..how many months did it go thru?

When did you apply for citizenship?

I have friends who applied in April of last year, and September...they\'ve heard nothing yet. It seems like the entire process is taking up to and in some cases over a year. The way it has been explained to me is that the citizenship office in Nova Scotia does 3 kinds of checks for security, provincial police, CSIS and wherever you have lived before coming to Canada. All this can take a very long time or it can be a very straightforward process.

How long has it been since you applied?

thats is scary. It looks like most of our lives are spend waiting for some kind of immigration matte

I hope we are free one day and live normally.

I was just thinking about that

Yes indeed, we spend a good part of our life waiting for some department to process our papers and to look for every possible way to deny us on whatever grounds they can find, guess or feel like. Anyway, truth is, it\'s better than spending time back home. At least, here, we have opportunities, our children will have a chance for a better life...in the end it\'s well worth it. Just like the old supply and demand curve, lots of people want the same thing, it gets tough.

Good luck to all of you with all your immigration related matters!

PR Process

In the canadian pr process what checks are made with us immig., if at all they do, besides the police and credibility checks.