Canadian Citizen to marry and reside in the US with a US citizen

revjim

I am a US citizen, and my fiancee is a Canadian citzen. We wish to be married and reside in the US together, however, we are open to other options.

Our goal is to be together, regardless of what that takes, and we are exploring our options.

I am a professional in the Information Technology Industry and she is a Student attending school in Canada.

We have decided that it would be easiest for her to move here, as I have an established profession and have been with my employer for over 5 years. It would be best if she could would while she was in the US, but it is not required.

1) Is a K-1 Visa the quickest and easiest route we can take?

2) Can she be in the US while we apply for a K-1 Visa?

3) If the K-1 application process takes less than the maximum amount of time she can stay in the states without a Visa, does she ever have to return to Canada?

4) I have heard that, after getting K-1 approval, she will be unable to return to Canada for two years (even just to visit) or her permanent resident status will be in jeopardy. Is this true?

5) As best as I can tell, the maximum length of time a Canadian can be in the US without a Visa is 6 months. Is this correct?

6) Can we get legally married in the US (or Canada) without a K-1 Visa? And if so, will that grant her the right to work and live in the US?

7) How easily can she obtain a work permit that will allow her to live and work in the US on at least a semi-permenant basis?

8) How long is a Student Visa good for, how difficult are they to obtain, and how long does it take?

My attempts to contact INS, and my searches on the Internet have provided conflicting and incomplete information.

Thank you in advance, for you help,
Daniel

Canadian citizen to reside in the US

hi daniel,
just wondering abt the progress in ur status cos we are in a similar situation. were u able to get ur fiance to live in the us? if so, wud u be able to post the progress since i cannot find any answers for this situation in this forum
thanks