• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can use mail forwarding service address for SS, Driver's License, Bank, Credit Card?

Not really. When it is a must, we use my number ....

Am sorry for being a pest, but this topic just picked my curiosity.

What about taxes? Even if you file jointly the IRS requires both SSNs for income tax because every person has to file. Even if she doesn't work she's gota file, jointly or by herself. How are her FICA and Medicare contibutions recorded? (and you know uncle Sam doesn't kid around when it comes to FICA)

Not to metion state taxes, retirement contributions, medical insuarance, home and auto insurarance, OMG the list is endless!!

Hi everybody,

Here in MD, they do not require SSN either. What is more interesting is that even people who cannot prove that they are legally in the US can get a DL (the process is a little bit longer but, nevertheless, they still get a DL.) The state only requires proof of residency. A lot of people from neighboring states come to MD to take advantage of this!

I used to live in PA and there they were very demanding with foreigners. One had to show a valid visa and SSN to obtain a DL there.

Just my 2 cents...

But keep in mind, without a SSN you cannot built a credit history/credit score
This is not true. One does not need SSN to become an authorized user of somebody's credit card. Once he is in the system, his credit file is created, and later on, when he gets a SSN and orders a credit report, it will be stated in the report that some records on file are older than the SSN. Of course, paying bills in a timely manner contributes more, but using somebody's card is definitely better than just wait for SSN :)

What do you mean? Does she use it for work that way?
Which work? My wife is a J-2, and she cannot work (she has no authorization). She stays at home with the kids, and what am I for, after all? When I said before that I use my number, I meant situations when anybody from the household has to give a SSN and sign some paper.

What about taxes? Even if you file jointly the IRS requires both SSNs for income tax because every person has to file.
IRS requires SSN or ITIN. We file jointly, and my wife has an ITIN.

How are her FICA and Medicare contibutions recorded?
She doesn't work, so she doesn't have to pay any FICA, Medicare or other taxes.

Not to mention state taxes, retirement contributions, medical insuarance, home and auto insurarance, OMG the list is endless!!
There is no state tax in my state. I am the primary policy holder of our health insurance, and all the dependents do not need SSN. As for home and car insurances, everything is in my name. So, as you see, the list may be long (although not endless), but everything is quite simple.