• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can I go back to my home country?

nepaliii

So I'm here at the US right now. Received my SSN just yesterday.
How soon will I get my GreenCard and what do I have to do to apply for it?
And what happens if I return back to my home country? How do I maintain my status?

So I'm here at the US right now. Received my SSN just yesterday.
How soon will I get my GreenCard and what do I have to do to apply for it?
And what happens if I return back to my home country? How do I maintain my status?

Read this
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

And this
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

And this
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...bilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident

Bottom line is if you return to your home country to live and work there indefinitely you will lose your green card. Otherwise there are provisions for temporary travel as per the links above.

I am doing my undergrad in Nepal and it is gonna take me about a year and a half to complete it. Can I come back after that and still maintain my gc?

I am doing my undergrad in Nepal and it is gonna take me about a year and a half to complete it. Can I come back after that and still maintain my gc?

Did you go through any of the links you've been provided with above?

The I-551 stamp on your passport can be used in place of the actual GC when filing for an I-131. Please go through the following links for a better understanding of the I-131 re-entry permit application and the process involved with it:

How do I get a reentry permit?:
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf

Form I-131 Filing Instructions:
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-131instr.pdf

I-131, Application for Travel Document:
http://www.uscis.gov/i-131

And I have one more question. I missed to submit my vaccination records and xray DICOM files at the port of entry. I submitted the sealed file though. What do I do?

Last edited:
And I have one more question. I missed to submit my vaccination records and xray DICOM files at the port of entry. I submitted the sealed file though. What do I do?

Those are for your personal records, you are not supposed to submit them, you get to keep them.

I have a quick question. I've read all the links on this thread but I'm a little anxious about my situation.

I intend to enter the US in January and get my Green Card validated. However, I need to return home after a week to tie up some loose ends at work. I will then return to the US permanently after 2 months in my country of origin.

When returning to the US the links state that I must present a Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card. However, I will not have this at the time, instead I'll be using the Temporary I-551 which has been attached to my passport.

As I understand it this should not be a problem, hopefully someone can confirm this.

I have a quick question. I've read all the links on this thread but I'm a little anxious about my situation.

I intend to enter the US in January and get my Green Card validated. However, I need to return home after a week to tie up some loose ends at work. I will then return to the US permanently after 2 months in my country of origin.

When returning to the US the links state that I must present a Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card. However, I will not have this at the time, instead I'll be using the Temporary I-551 which has been attached to my passport.

As I understand it this should not be a problem, hopefully someone can confirm this.

Yes, you'll be fine with the temporary I-551. You just need to confirm ahead of time with the airline you'll be flying with that they understand and recognize the temporary I-551.

Also just to clarify further from what mom said, just to be sure you understand that the temp I551 is not attached to your passport as a separate document (which is what your wording implies) but is the immigrant visa that has been stamped on first entry. I've seen reports of problems before because not only did some airline personnel not know what to look for, but the traveler did not know what to show them either.

Also just to clarify further from what mom said, just to be sure you understand that the temp I551 is not attached to your passport as a separate document (which is what your wording implies) but is the immigrant visa that has been stamped on first entry. I've seen reports of problems before because not only did some airline personnel not know what to look for, but the traveler did not know what to show them either.
Are we not talking about the same thing though?

When my passport was returned by the US Embassy they had stuck to one of the pages an immigrant visa which states "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence For 1 Year"

Are we not talking about the same thing though?

When my passport was returned by the US Embassy they had stuck to one of the pages an immigrant visa which states "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence For 1 Year"

Yes, I was just trying to ensure you understood that, because not everyone does. (Semantics perhaps, I would not call something that is stuck in "attached", hence why I double-checked. Better safe than sorry.)

Another quick question.

I'm going on my activation trip next week. At the POE I'm going to provide the immigration officer with a friend's address where the green card will be posted to.

However, as I understand it from reading this forum, the SSN will not be sent automatically to this same address.

While on my activation trip can I drop into a Social Security Office with the completed forms and arrange to have the card sent to either 1) my friend's address, which is in another state or 2) my own home address in my home country.

From what I've read 1) should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance

Another quick question.

I'm going on my activation trip next week. At the POE I'm going to provide the immigration officer with a friend's address where the green card will be posted to.

However, as I understand it from reading this forum, the SSN will not be sent automatically to this same address.

While on my activation trip can I drop into a Social Security Office with the completed forms and arrange to have the card sent to either 1) my friend's address, which is in another state or 2) my own home address in my home country.

From what I've read 1) should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance

The SSN, if it is sent automatically as it should be, will automatically go to the same address. Some people don't get it sent automatically and have to go into a SSA office. US government documents like green cards and SSN cards will not be sent to addresses outside the US.

The SSN, if it is sent automatically as it should be, will automatically go to the same address. Some people don't get it sent automatically and have to go into a SSA office. US government documents like green cards and SSN cards will not be sent to addresses outside the US.
It does seem that a lot of people do not get the SSN sent to their address even though they requested it in their DS-260.

Would it not make sense to preempt this eventuality and to the office and request one be sent?

It does seem that a lot of people do not get the SSN sent to their address even though they requested it in their DS-260.

Would it not make sense to preempt this eventuality and to the office and request one be sent?

Yes - that is what we recommend. Wait a week to two weeks.... then go to the SSA