Can I apply (not visa transfer) for F1 visa while I'm in USA?

subashreer

Hi,

I'm working in USA in L1 Blanket visa. My L1 visa expired in Dec 2010 and hence I do not have a valid visa now. But now I'm able to stay in the USA as my I-94 is valid till 2013. I got admit to an university in IL and I'm planning to join as a fulltime F1 student in fall 2011 in the next 3 months.

I have 3 questions about getting my F1 visa.
1. Can I apply for F1 visa while I'm in USA? If yes, approximately how long would it take to get F1 visa in USA?
2. Is visa status transfer possible in my case? Because, I dont have valid visa now, can I still try visa transfer from L1 to F1? If yes, approximately how long would it take to make the transfer?
3. Or, do I need to go back to India for getting my F-1 stamped?

Any thoughts that you can share would really be helpful to me as I'm running out of time to make the decision.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Subashini

You can change your current L1 status to F1 by filing form I-539. Before you apply for change of status in US, your admission application needs to be accepted by an US university/college that you will be attended to. If you are admitted to the university, you will be sent a Form I-20 by that university.

You will need to submit all applications with yours original valid unexpired I-94 arrival/departure records; your I-20 form; copy biographic date page of all passports; Form I-134 Affidavit of support; and financial evidence to prove your or your sponsor have enough fund to support you and your dependents expenses while you study full time in US. all applicants are allowed to stay in US while the I-539 is pending at US CIS. All the applications will be considered abandon if you leave US before the approval. after your F1 is approved. you will no longer in L1 and must maintain F1 status in US.