Can I apply for citizenship from abroad? (I'm out with n-470)

shooterm

I'm a US resident working abroad for a US company and have N-470.
How do I apply for citizenship if I am constantly abroad (Australia)?
Even if I did get to go back to the US and apply how do I do an interview or citizenship ceremony when I can't just return on a whim?

Thanks in advance.
G.

Even if I did get to go back to the US and apply how do I do an interview or citizenship ceremony when I can't just return on a whim?

Thanks in advance.
G.

I am in the same boat. I currently live/work in Australia for a US company. I consulted an immigration attorney. He recommended that I return to the US permanently before applying for citizenship. They said that I could fly to the US, submit my application and return to work in Australia but it would be taking too much risk.

Since I am not a risk-taker, I will be moving back to the US in August so I can file for natz.

Yes, you can file the application when abroad. But you still need to return to the US for the fingerprinting, interview, and oath, and have somebody in the US checking your mail for the notices for those three appointments. So that would be three trips with 1-2 weeks notice each, which is not a trivial thing if you're coming from Australia. So unless the company is paying for you to fly back, it's probably better to wait until you are living in the US again. After all, while you're still in Australia you're not really gaining anything by having US citizenship ... there is no major election until late 2010, and having US citizenship doesn't give you any additional rights in Australia (or does it?).

See these two threads for a more in-depth discussion about this issue.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=296106

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=296086

Both of you appear to be working for US employers in Australia, but that may not preclude you from meeting "continuous residence" and "physical presence" requirements for the N-400. In addition, there is also a 3-month stay in a USCIS District or US State requirement.

It is my understanding from a previous posting from Jackolantern that the N-470 preserves "continuous residence", but it may not help you with "physical presence".

Also see the following link from USCIS, which goes to "A Guide to Naturalization".

Thanks in advance.
G.

If you're continuously abroad working for a US company, USCIS will likely view this as a break in your 3 month district area residency requirement. It's one thing to apply from abroad when on a short trip, but another if you try to apply and your history shows you are living overseas with a N-470 in hand.

Ughhh. It sucks to be me.
Looks like I'll just keep re-applying for re-entry permits every two years (I do return for a couple of months every two years).
My N-470 is indefinite so continuous residency is not a problem. But I'll have to plan a stay at some time for the 3 months prior physical residency and stick around for fingerprinting, interview, and ceremony. Not ideal for me at all!

Thanks to all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
my father has a N470 (works for org US has interest in) and has used a lawyer (from GC to now), as in every step of the way, and still has to maintain residency (physical presence), there has to be at least 30mth stay in the US total at the time of filing (in that 5yr period), so a couple of mths every 2yrs wont be enough in a 5yr span. He does live here, house and all, wife (my mom) is here, and comes back every 2-3mths for at least a mth. He is now eligible for citizenship only a few mths after my mom because of that.
Do u still have evidence that ur maintaining ties here, u need to show them that u havent abandoned ur residency, maybe ur married and if ur spouse/kids are abroad, u can move them back here temporarily or something.

Yeah I'm looked after on the N470 side of things. I could be away for 10 years or more and it still won't affect my residency status. What I will have to do is have physical presence before applying for citizenship and that silly re-entry permit is always going to bug me.

US Citizenship application

Hi I have been living here since 1986 and have my green card for 10 years. I have satisfied all my requirements for the application and have applied and got my fingerprinting done in Newark NJ. Now i have taken up a temporary job in UK for 2 years. We applied in May and we are leaving in a week with the intention of returning for the interview. I own a house and have bank accounts, pay taxes etc. Is there anything I should be aware of in this regard?

Thanks

Hi I have been living here since 1986 and have my green card for 10 years. I have satisfied all my requirements for the application and have applied and got my fingerprinting done in Newark NJ. Now i have taken up a temporary job in UK for 2 years. We applied in May and we are leaving in a week with the intention of returning for the interview. I own a house and have bank accounts, pay taxes etc. Is there anything I should be aware of in this regard?
If you are living and working overseas during the N-400 process, taking short trips to the US only for the fingerprints, interview, and oath, you're likely to be denied unless you have an N-470. If you can delay the start of your overseas work for 3 or 4 months, do it.

But if you continue to own the house while away without renting it out to somebody else, and your spouse remains in the US until you complete the process, your chances of approval would be improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is renting one's own property relevant?
If you're renting it to somebody else, you're not using it for your own residential purposes. If you're mentioning the house to show your ties to the US, it is more convincing if you are keeping the house to stay in it than if it's rented out to somebody else.