Can I apply for an OCI from India itself?

samsung_adams

Registered Users (C)
I am getting a citizenship (US) very soon and am moving back to India. Can I apply for an OCI when i am in India? what are the advantages of an OCI versus a PIO?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes u can apply while u r in India.

With PIO, if you stay in India for more than 6 months continuously, you have to get registered at a police station. This is a hassle considering the fact that no one wants to face the law & bribery (sorry! order) department.
with OCI u can saty in India as long as u want.

Can I get a visitor's visa for a year

And then apply for OCI from India? What is the fastest way to travel to India?
visitor's visa, PIO or OCI?

Yes u can apply from India.

I have applied OCI for my wife and me from Chennai. Became US Citizens on Oct 30th and received our passports on Dec 7th. Went to CGINY and got 6months entry visa and came to India on Jan 1st. Before coming to India I filled the OCI application online (need to choose the Chennai FRRO) and got it printed. Took our 35X35 pics in India with light colored background for 15Rs. Took 2 DD's for Rs. 12650.00 and went to Chennai FRRO (in Shastri Bhavan) and gave it in person on Jan 7th. They asked for 3 sets of the application. Was acked from Delhi on Jan 11th and was granted and printed on Feb8th and being sent to Chennai. Waiting to pick it up from Chennai as soon it arrives.

You need to fill in the local address in the first page. I filled in my US address and they asked me to fill in the Chennai address adjacent to it because all the correspondence is sent to Chennai.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is FRRO?

What does it stand for? So we can look for other offices in India for the same. thanks.

Thanks for info Anan. Can we mail the application 3 sets instead of personally submitting?

KMM said:
Thanks for info Anan. Can we mail the application 3 sets instead of personally submitting?

You can also directly send the application to MHA in Delhi where the OCI is processed. The reason why I went to Chennai FRRO is because they check whether the application is complete and the photos are good. And also I reside in Chennai.

And also one important reason why I didn't mail it to Delhi is because once oci is approved either you have to mail your passports to Delhi or go in person to get your OCI visa stamped (I don't want to mail my passports, especially here.)

If you are sending to Delhi by mail then I believe 2 copies are good. The third copy is only for the local FRRO if you go in person.

Anant

I just have one question for Anan. When you went to india on your tourist visa (6 months) prior to receiving or even completing the registration of ur oci, did you book a return ticket or just one way ticket? Is it necessary to have a return ticket on such a visa and when you're awaiting your oci confirmation?