Can Citizenship be revoked?

desp1234

Registered Users (C)
Hi I briefly searched the forum but didn't find any information in this issue, so I'm curious if there is any law under which the uscis can revoke your citizenship? or onceyou take the oath you are an American till the day you die no matter what? Just making sure.

Yes, it can. They only cannot revoke from those who were born here.

I haven't heard any stories of revoked GCs, citizenship's..

Yes, it can. They only cannot revoke from those who were born here.

They can revoke the citizenship of a born citizen for certain actions such as fighting in a foreign army against the US or taking political office in another country.

But naturalized citizens are indeed exposed to a greater range of reasons for revocation, since their citizenship can be revoked based on material discrepancies in the naturalization process (or any immigration process before that).

If Hitler worshipping anti-immigrants , white supremacist terrorists, anti-abortionists, Salem witch hunter sort religious fanatics and many other worthless of mentioning racist dogs had their way then every single US Citizen with darker tones of skin color (especially those to south of the border) would be stripped of their Citizenship.

Fortunately, Hitler worshipers didn't write the US Constitution and don't decide who keeps or loses the Citizenship.

However there some very legitimate and lawful grounds for revocation of citizenship. For more information see here:
http://immigration.lawyers.com/citizenship/Denaturalization-Revoking-Your-US-Citizenship.html

All the best.

Hi I briefly searched the forum but didn't find any information in this issue, so I'm curious if there is any law under which the uscis can revoke your citizenship? or onceyou take the oath you are an American till the day you die no matter what? Just making sure.

The USCIS itself cannot revoke anyone's citizenship. However, the citizenship of a naturalized citizen can be revoked by a court - this process is called judicial de-naturalization. USCIS can initiate such a court action, if, for example, it has evidence that the citizenship was obtained via fraud or a significant misrepresentation of material facts. However, it is a difficult and expensive process for USCIS to prove this to a court (and the person whose naturalization is being contested by the USCIS has the right to participate in the court case and to defend himself/herself). So, as a practical matter, USCIS only initiates the judicial de-naturalization process fairly rarely and only in pretty serious cases.

The USCIS itself cannot revoke anyone's citizenship. However, the citizenship of a naturalized citizen can be revoked by a court - this process is called judicial de-naturalization. USCIS can initiate such a court action, if, for example, it has evidence that the citizenship was obtained via fraud or a significant misrepresentation of material facts. However, it is a difficult and expensive process for USCIS to prove this to a court (and the person whose naturalization is being contested by the USCIS has the right to participate in the court case and to defend himself/herself). So, as a practical matter, USCIS only initiates the judicial de-naturalization process fairly rarely and only in pretty serious cases.
thank you

John Demjanjuk allegedly Ivan The Terrible - In August 1977, the Justice Department submitted a request to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio that Demjanjuk's citizenship be revoked on the basis that he had allegedly concealed his involvement with Nazi death camps on his immigration application in 1951.

I wonder how many de-naturalization processes uscis initiates per year... is there such statistics?

On a side note, what happens if ur US citizenship gets revoked? Do you automatically gain citizenship of your previous country? What if that country refuses to grant u citizenship? Can you then be an "orphan" citizen?

On a side note, what happens if ur US citizenship gets revoked? Do you automatically gain citizenship of your previous country? What if that country refuses to grant u citizenship? Can you then be an "orphan" citizen?

If you lost the citizenship of the previous country, you'll be stateless upon losing your US citizenship. In some cases they might have a procedure to restore your original citizenship (e.g. India's OCI and the 5 year rule), but you won't automatically restore the prior citizenship.

It happened to a Haitian-born guy whose citizenship was revoked for a trivial drug offense prior to naturalization. I still can't understand how they got a conviction ... all he did was tell an undercover officer where drugs were being sold, and that was after repeated badgering by the officer. He was able to naturalize because he wasn't arrested until after completing naturalization, despite committing the so-called crime before naturalization.

When he naturalized, he lost Haitian citizenship. When they denaturalized him and tried to deport him, Haiti wouldn't take him because they said he's no longer a Haitain citizen. So they had to let him stay in the US.

Last edited by a moderator: