Can a asylee derivative go to his home country?

DLguy

Hi,
Everybody, I am new here. I need help on the question listed on the title. Thank you very much.
Currently I am a asylee derivative of my father who got his asylum status several years ago. I have been in US for 2 years and have applied for GC last year. I checked my status online which said it needed something like 480 days to process cases like mine. But after checking out this forum, i noticed that it took much longer then they said to even just get FP.
I promised my girl friend who is still in my home country to go back in 2004 summer for visit ( we've been separated since I came here)...But without GC, how can I go back?
Can someone tell me how I can go back without losing my legal status..Thank you very very much. By the way, actually I don't have political problem at my home country. My parents just didn't want me there alone...That is the reason I came here..

Several well-known attorneys recently asked INS headquarters to address this very issue. No response so far. So unless and until they formally speak on this, you travel back at your own risk.

I do note that the manuals given to field-level immigration officers make no distinction between principals and dependents.

Originally posted by Gilbert
Several well-known attorneys recently asked INS headquarters to address this very issue. No response so far. So unless and until they formally speak on this, you travel back at your own risk.

I do note that the manuals given to field-level immigration officers make no distinction between principals and dependents.

Hi Gilbert,
Thanks for letting us now about this. Always hearing useful info from you.

Could you please let us know here on the forum when the lawyers receive the response. I am sure a lot of us here would like to now once and for all what the official take on this issue is.
thx.