Came back before re-entry permit expired - does the clock start again for the next one?

Darson

I was assigned to a job outside the US for 2.5 years so I got a re-entry permit before left (valid for 2 years) and extended the permit for another 2 years as I had another 6 months abroad. I came back to the US in September last year and have been here since. My 2nd re-entry permit expires sometime in the second half of this year.

Now it looks like I may be assigned again this summer outside the US for another 3 year stint. If I apply for a re-entry permit (with the current one still valid) will I only get a year or does the clock start again? Should I return my unused re-entry permit to facilitate this?

Also, would I have trouble getting additional re-entry permits to cover the 3 years of the next assignment.

This is quite frustrating as my desire is to naturalise but work prevents me from staying in the US for long enough! We have a house, bank accounts, taxes etc that show ties so I'm not worried about that part.

The rule is that if you've been outside the U.S. for more than 4 of the last 5 years since becoming a permanent resident, then your re-entry permit will have a validity of only 1 year.

Thanks for the reply.

My old re-entry permit expires in Sept this year. I'll probably have to get another one this summer - how will immigration know that I have been back resident in the US for a year? They have issued two re-entry permits lasting for 4 years but I have been living in the US for 1.5 of those years.