Call for all the PRs living in The US

Qwerty20

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys!
I was just wondering what are u guys planning to do after hearing all that new stuff regarding US visa requirements for Canadian PRs from British Commonwealth countries. I'm waiting for my son's medical papers which may take another 2-3 months from now. I don't know what to do as the implementation date for that law is December 16th...

Please do reply.

I heard about new rules, but I guess you are working in the USA on a certain visa. If you have a valid visa stamp or approval papers (on which you can reenter USA within 30 days), then it may not be a problem.

I think its more of a problem for those PR living in canada and frequently visit their friends and relatives in US. They won't be able to enter without tourist visa.

Am I correct???? Any comments....

All,

I am confused about this visa requirement. Are you folks talking about the US VISA requirement for British Commonwealth citizens (India, Pakistan etc.etc.) who are Canadian landed immigrants?

I know that the DOS had submitted a bill about this and later withdrew this bill. As of to-day the US Consulate website in Toronto and Vancouver still states that there is no VISA required to enter US if you are a British Commonwealth Citizen and have a Canadian Landed Immigrant status.

I am missing something here?

I have sent an e-mail to the US Consulate in Vancouver. Lets see what they have to say. Will post details upon receiving the reply from the US Consulate.

Acoording to the link below, there is no mention of BCC to obtain a visa to enter te US. This information is current as of 11/12/2002.

http://www.amcits.com/bcc.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys..
Today I called INS border post, to confirm about the recent policy changes and also asked about new visa restriction for BC citizens and that when that policy gonna take effect ... the INS inspector told me that change probably be taking effect by mid Dec but not during Nov ......

Now thing is how that is going to effect us, would this restriction be only for those who travel to US as visitors or tourist, as Jalma also mentioned, or for those too who are working here on H1B and having a valid H1B approval...??

For vault;

Thanks for your reply. After looking at all these replies, it looks like everybody is still confused....Please do share with us as soon as you receive any other information in this matter.

Sawill,

If this bill goes into effect, there will be no exceptions period. Any BCC who has landed immigrant status, who wishes to enter the US, for any purpose be it for pleasure, education, work.... has to first obtain the appropriate visa from the US Consulate!! There is only one exception here....

If you are working in the US on a H1-B/L1-A visa, and your employer has filed the petition for your GC, and if one is in the final stage (filed I-485) and has received the Advance Parole (AP) document, can enter the US with this document. However, INS office will raise his/her eyebrow's pretty high!! :=)

This is the attachment I received from the US Consulate in Montreal.

Heres' the e-mail reply I got from the US Consulate in Vancouver Canada.
=============================

Vancouvers Non-Immigrant Visa Dept

To :

Subject :
RE: US Visa Requirement for a British Commonwealth Citizen

Date :
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:02:24 -0500

At this time, landed immigrants in Canada who are citizens of Commonwealth countries do not require visas to enter the United States. A regulation which would require visas for all such visitors has been proposed. We cannot provide a timeframe, with any degree of accuracy, when this change might be finalized or when it would take effect. However, if such a policy is adopted, it will be announced well in advance of its effective date.

For up to date information please visit www.travel.state.gov.

Thank you

-----Original Message-----
Dear Sir/Madame,

Has the Department of State passed the law (previously withdrawn) requiring British Commonwealth Citizens(India)who have a Canadian Landed Immigrant Status to obtain a Visa to enter the United States? If so when does this law go into effect?

Regards,

vault

thanx for the info.
well thats rigt if one is having AP then there is no need for visa to enter into US...

Need Visa for BCC PR's

Hi,

I commute everyday to Detroit and at the border they handed a letter saying that all PRs from BCC need visa after Dec 16 :(

So guys everything is true and i know still the site at www.state.gov/travel says we don't need but we do need from what the info i was given by Immigration Officers at the Border

Thanks

For gumnam_guy:

Hi,

I commute everyday to Detroit and at the border they handed a letter saying that all PRs from BCC need visa after Dec 16

So guys everything is true and i know still the site at www.state.gov/travel says we don't need but we do need from what the info i was given by Immigration Officers at the Border

Thanks

Well...seems like they gonna impose this law for sure now. Can u please post the copy of that letter you received from the authorities at border here.
It'll be of great help!

OK Guys,

I just hung up with an INS office at the Lewiston Bridge @ Buffalo, NY. According to her, yes there is a proposal for BCC citizens to have a valid visa stamp in the passport, but as of to-day it is not going to be in effect as of December 19. She also said, that the INS officer shouldn't have handed out the letter at the Detroit border. She also advised that I should call and check in a week or two to see as to when this law will be going into effect.

Phew!!

Hi Vault,

I just called at Immigration office at Detroit, MI. The officer said that they are handing out letters stating Visa requirements for BCC citizens from Dec 16. So, PR from BCC who is planning to come to The US after Dec 16th will require a Visa and too should be applied in advance at Toronto/ Ottawa office and not at the border.
It's so confusing...........

Gumnam,

I assume that you had a H1 and you did a Job in Detroit. So it shouldnt affect you? am I right?

mercury6,

It dosen't matter if you are on H1/F1/L1. If the new law passes, then every one who would like to enter the US should obta
in a visa.

Question for Vault or sawill

Could you guys provide INS border post phone number.

Thanks,

RamFan

Re: Question for Vault or sawill

Originally posted by RamFan
Could you guys provide INS border post phone number.

Thanks,

RamFan

Here's the number of Immigration office at Detroit, MI
1-313-568-6019
1-313-442-0200

Visa requirement

Vault,

I think in this context Gumnam guy should be fine once the new law is passed b'cause he has a Canadian PR/US H1B.So if he is in Canada and is planning to cross the border he can do that with his H1.I don't presume that he need to get a new visitor visa in addition to his H1 while crossing the border to US.He (and majority of PR's/H1b's) should be ok.

Raj009