California Service Center Processing Time

Goaga: First, can you watch while I turn completely GREEN with envy? VSC is only 30-45 days? Sheesh. I waited almost 5 months! The California Curse lives on.

Anyway, while I can't answer officially, it seems you filed in good faith at the VSC based on your last U.S. address. I can't see any reason why they'd open it, and then decide to ship it to the CSC. It's not like there is an interview process for you.

Of course you can try the toll-free BCIS line for help. Chances are they won't know the answer, and if you're lucky they'll transfer you to an Immigration Officer. They know a bit more.

Hey, by printout from the web, do you mean the tracking page for your I-129F? I didn't realize that it would update itself. Bhojanis: has yours updated, since you now are in the "waiting for interview date" phase? Just curious.

Good luck and happy nuptials!

Timothy

Originally posted by keysnpics
Goaga: First, can you watch while I turn completely GREEN with envy? VSC is only 30-45 days? Sheesh. I waited almost 5 months! The California Curse lives on.

Anyway, while I can't answer officially, it seems you filed in good faith at the VSC based on your last U.S. address. I can't see any reason why they'd open it, and then decide to ship it to the CSC. It's not like there is an interview process for you.

Timothy: Thanks for the help. I am in near daily contact with the NCS (I am not a patient person when it comes to getting my fiance here) and have concluded that they really can't help all that much. I am now extremely worried that how they told me to change my address (they can't do it over the phone for a foreign addy) was wrong, and, God forbid, they need extra information that I am not going to receive the notice.

I filed for an update on case status since mine has run over the estimated time frame, but that takes 30 days in and of itself to complete...I'm hoping that my case is resolved by then. Delays are not fun.

NVC Approval

Called the NVC this morning to check on their progress. Very nice folks. They work fast. See revised chronology at the end...

NOTE: I am trying to get Tel Aviv to accept the CSC or NVC approval as enough to at least set aside an interview date. So far no luck. I gave them the web-status site, and my receipt number, so they know it was approved. And the NVC gave me their case/tracking number. We'll see, but I suspect it will just have to be scheduled when they get the paperwork.

Just Remember: official government timelines almost always overestimate. That way they can look good when they "beat the prediction". I suppose they consider that good service. For example: They said 205 to 235 days to process the I-129F, and it took 131 (plus the delay while I scrounged up her birth certificate). They said "2 to 4 weeks" at the NVC. Try "a few days" (see below). NOW, if the Embassy can just change their "we're working on late October" line they gave me on July 8th, I'll be truly happy.

Here is an updated timeline on my I-129F filed with the California Service Center.

02/28/2003 - Application Received by CSC.

07/09/2003 - Service Center requested additional information (completion of blanks and birth certificate) Rec'd 7/12.

7/21/03 - Sent original birth certificate and corrected I-129F to CSC via USPS next day delivery

7/30/03 - NOA approval date (rec'd 8/4)

8/7/03 - NVC approved it and mailed it to Tel Aviv (they say 10 to 15 days to arrive: see above!)

Happy Wedding Plans Everyone! :p

My updated timeline...

3/12/2003 - I-120F Application received by CSC (although the website says 3/13/2003)

7/14/2003 - Request for additional information/Evidence.
(Needed a copy of Birth Certificate or Passport for DOB verification)

7/22/2003 - CSC Received my additional information/Evidence.

7/29/2003 - CSC Approved our Petition and forwarded to NVC.

8/8/2003 - NVC forwarded our approved petition to US Embassy in Santiago, Chile. (Stateing that my fiancee, Wilma, will be getting her packet within a couple of weeks) :D :D

My updated timeline...

3/12/2003 - I-120F Application received by CSC (although the website says 3/13/2003)

7/22/2003 - CSC received my additional information/Evidence.

7/29/2003 - CSC approved our Petition and forwarded to NVC.

8/8/2003 - NVC forwarded our approved petition to US Embassy in Santiago, Chile. (Stating that my fiancée, Wilma, will be getting her packet within a couple of weeks)

8/24/2004 - Wilma received her packet. Instructions (DSL-1076), Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration (DS-230) and Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application (DS-156K).:D :D

Interview Date Set!

I suppose I should update things, due to good news received on Friday.

Here is an updated timeline on my I-129F filed with the California Service Center.

07/09/2003 - Service Center requested additional information (completion of blanks and birth certificate) Rec'd 7/12.

7/21/03 - Sent original birth certificate and corrected I-129F to CSC via USPS next day delivery

8/7/03 - NVC approved it and mailed it to Tel Aviv (they say 10 to 15 days to arrive: see above!)

8/22/03--Fiancee called consulate, wondering where the packet was. They are behind, they say. But they do have her in the computer. They mentioned that they are currently looking at appointment dates in Dec (not surprising, if you read my earlier posts), but (strangely) they ask her if she is in a particular hurry. Of course she is (we are), as we hope to wed in November. So, surprisingly, they award her a Sept 29th interview date! The forms should arrive soon, I expect. So, lesson learned: if you don't ask, they'll not give you a particularly great date. So, ask (but a decent reason would help).

Question: Is it DS-156 or DS156K? or both? A Word document checklist I received some time ago from the embassy only mentioned DS-156, plus DS-230 (part I) (and other odds and ends). So, we'll see what actually arrives. According to the DS-156k, it's to be used WITH the DS-156, but perhaps this is only when the entire petition is being handled by the embassy (i.e. for a couple engaged overseas, and not where the US citizen is in the US).

So, continued happy wedding plans everyone!

TF

My updated timeline...

8/8/2003 - NVC forwarded our approved petition to US Embassy in Santiago, Chile. (Stating that my fiancée, Wilma, will be getting her packet within a couple of weeks)

8/24/2004 - Wilma received her packet. Instructions (DSL-1076), Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration (DS-230) and Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application (DS-156K).

8/26/2003 - Wilma sent DS-156, DS-156K and Bottom of DSL-1076 to US Embassy in Santiago.

8/28/2003 - Wilma received a call from a gentleman and the US Embassy asking when she would be a available for her interview and stated he would get her the information on her Medical Exam details on Monday (9/1/2003).

We are thinking that the results from the Medical Exam will either be given to her to take to her interview or be mailed to the Embassy. Either way, we expect Wilma will have her interview and receive her Visa by Friday, next week (9/5/2003). I am busy looking for available airline flights now.

:D yeehaw!

Well, good to hear that things are looking up. Sorta like a marathon. If you just keep running, you will cross the finish line. Except that Immigration tends to keep moving the line on ya!:p

Anyway, you know it seems that different consulates do things differently. We have our interview date, but (to date) no packet. The checklist document we coaxed out of them a while back doesn't mention the DS-156K, just DS-156, etc. And you got a DSL-176, which I've never heard of. Like I said, you just do what they tell ya, and hope that when you don't do it exactly right (which takes either luck or mindreading, I can't tell yet), that it doesn't delay things too much.

Also: the physician the consulate recommended seems to think she needs two vaccinations (cost: $61, plus the $300 normal fee), but the consulate clearly contraindicated that. We'll probably do it, just to be safe. Another in the long line of "guess the regulations": the new game show where only THEY know the rules!

Just made my plane reservations today. Will fly o'er there in mid Nov for a nice little ceremony (absent any legal basis, which is just what they force ya into if you want to satisfy both government and family), then a return for legal papers and nuptials. I'll be glad when this is all over. Well, "over" is a relative term. Today I referred to it as the "end of the beginning", 'cause you know this is just the warmup to the REAL race: The Grand Normalization, Green Card and Citizen Tri-Athlon.

Happy running....;)

Timothy:D :D

Well, just when one thinks things are moving right along... :(
My updated timeline...

8/24/2004 - Wilma received her packet. Instructions (DSL-1076), Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration (DS-230) and Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application (DS-156K).

8/26/2003 - Wilma sent DS-156, DS-156K and Bottom of DSL-1076 to US Embassy in Santiago.

8/28/2003 - Wilma received a call from a gentleman at the US Embassy asking when she would be a available for her interview and stated he would get her the information on her Medical Exam details on Monday (9/1/2003).

9/4/2003 - We sent an email to the Embassy because we expected to have some news based on the gentleman's comments about calling on Monday. No one called, as Monday was a US holiday (celebrated at the Embassy also).

9/6/2003 - Wilma received a response to our email. Her appoinment has been set for 10/2/2003. Boooooo hooooo. We expected it to be much sooner. At least we now have a date. The gentleman also wnet on to state that the Medical Exam Instructions have been sent via courier.

9/8/2003 - Wilma received her Medical Exam Instructions. There are only two physicians she can see, they are both in Santiago, which is about an hour and a half drive. Luckily, she has family members there. The normal fee is $100 USD. There are some guidelines about vision, deseases, vacinations, etc. The instructions go on to say that the Medical Exam results will be couriered from the physician's office to the Embassy. we also are led to believe that the Visa will be couriered to Wilma 2-3 days after the interview. We have decided not to make any travel plans until we have the visa in-hand. ;)

Please update

I just read all your post and I was curious ......how are things going with the visa? I have been waiting since April and the days are getting long. You got all your paperwork so fast and we are still waiting to see if it will be approved. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance,
Margaret

Interview Complete!

Well, I guess Stage 1 is over. My sweetie had her interview on 29th Sept, and, while they didn't promise that she was approved, all indications are in that direction. She should have the Visa in the mail in "two weeks max" (they said). Praise God!

Margaret: I'm not sure where you are in the process, but waiting since April is about right for the CSC, if a tad bit on the long'ish side.I see their last "working on" date was April 22nd (as of Sept 19th). So, you are very close, if that's what you are awaiting.

As you can see from my revised timeline, it was a full 4 months before they acknowledged my app and sent it back for additional information. I hope you have better luck.

Here is an updated timeline on my I-129F filed with the California Service Center...plus our consulate experience.

8/22/03--Fiancee called consulate, wondering where the packet was. They are behind, they say. But they do have her in the computer. They mentioned that they are currently looking at appointment dates in Dec (not surprising, if you read my earlier posts), but (strangely) they ask her if she is in a particular hurry. Of course she is (we are), as we hope to wed in November. So, surprisingly, they award her a Sept 29th interview date! The forms should arrive soon, I expect. So, lesson learned: if you don't ask, they'll not give you a particularly great date. So, ask (but a decent reason would help).

9/29/30 - Interview completed! Despite being put in the wrong line, and it taking quite some time to accomplish, all went well. We expect the Visa in the mail in two weeks. Nuptials still planned for mid November, so we're on target.

:cool:

Hi

This is interesting that so many people are waiting like me! In my case I already have a 10 year multiple entry US visa but inspite of it I am waiting to take the right route into the country.....

So was wondering if I would be allowed to travel to the States while i am waiting to meet my fiance.........has anyone tried it?

UPDATE: She got the visa!!!! Delivered in just three days. Wow.

Regarding your question, Vandamme (travel to the US on valid VISA while awaiting K1 approval).

My fiancee came to visit last December through May. We were engaged overseas (in Nov), and she came here to visit and do some planning. She had a standard Tourist Visa (B1 or B2). Of course we hadn't filed the I-129F papers when she arrived, only later (see my timeline). However, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to come to visit on a valid Visa. As long as you leave and come back on the K-1 Visa for immigration purposes, why should they restrict your lawful travel? And since you can see how LONG the I-129F and consulate process can take, why not be here with your sweetie? I will tell you: if I had known how long this would take, I think I would have sent her to Canada (to visit with friends) so that she could re-enter and stay here longer. Oh well...the time is almost up.

FYI: It is possible that if you come here while you have a pending K1 application, that they might "know" about it and ask you more questions. But, like I said above, why should you be prohibited from coming while you wait?

One more note: at the consulate interview (Sept 29th) they canceled her B1/B2 visa, stating that she couldn't use that visa for working in America. Actually, that's an odd reason to use (but true of course). In reality, you can't immigrate with it.Of course, with a K-1, you have all you need to immigrate and apply for work (the NEXT fun step in the process....but that's another forum I'm sure.) ;)

Timothy

We got the approval!!!!!! from the CSC. Now they have sent the paperwork to New Hampshire. I thought it would be to Washington DC but NOT. They say two - four weeks for this part and then they will send the papers to Bulgaria.
I hope the consulate doesn't sit on them there and hopefully we will spend Christmas together. That is all I want Santa to bring me "Ivan" :)
Congrats on your fiance getting her visa. Forgive me for not remembering or maybe I didn't know....what country is she from?

congratulationto you all
i just notice a change in my timeline from 60 -90 days to 15-21 days i need to know if you noticed that before your approval

Time line

Menale I had a change of timeline in Calif. but it was about 2 months after that when we received the approval. Now we must wait for the NVC in New Hampshire to approve the background check etc. What country/state are you in? What type of visa are you getting?

Hi Timothy,

I suppose you are right......anyway, in the mean time my fiance is visiting me in my country. So, atleast we spend some time here together.......

He filed my application in May but we got a receipt date of June.....and from everything I read on this site I am assuming we will have to wait till December before planning a wedding!!

Its amazing how in the rest of the world people live in an illusion that everything is perfect in the American system and things move faster than anywhere else due to their advanced technology, etc, etc..........how little people know!!

Well, not be too cynical, but with "advanced technology" you also get "advanced bureacracy". I don't fault those working for the BCIS (at least not most of them): they just have way too much work and there are two few of them. Of course they could probably do things more efficiently, but they are trying. I would feel better about spending more money on immigration if I knew it would really help.

I am glad that you and your fiance` are able to spend time together. My fiancee` stretched a 3-month trip into 5-months, but we will still have been apart for nearly 6 months when I arrive there next month. Oh well. What's that compared to the rest of our lives?

God bless :)

TF

My updated timeline...

(Needed a copy of Wilma's Birth Certificate or Passport for DOB verification)

7/22/2003 - CSC received our additional information/Evidence.

8/28/2003 - Wilma received a call from a gentleman at the US Embassy asking when she would be a available for her interview and stated he would get her the information on her Medical Exam details on Monday (9/1/2003).

9/4/2003 - We sent an email to the Embassy because we expected to have some news based on the gentleman's comments about calling on Monday. No one called, as Monday was a US holiday (celebrated at the Embassy also).

9/6/2003 - Wilma received a response to our email. Her appoinment has been set for 10/2/2003. Boooooo hooooo. We expected it to be much sooner. At least we now have a date. The gentleman also went on to state that the Medical Exam Instructions have been sent via courier.

9/8/2003 - Wilma received her Medical Exam Instructions. There are only two physicians she can see, they are both in Santiago, which is about an hour and a half drive. Luckily, she has family members there. The normal fee is $100 US. There are some guidelines about vision, deseases, vacinations, etc. The instructions go on to say that the Medical Exam results will be couriered from the physician's office to the Embassy. We also are led to believe that the Visa will be couriered to Wilma 2-3 days after the interview. We have decided not to make any travel plans until we have the visa in-hand.

9/22/2003 - Wilma went for her Medical Exam. Even though she already had all the necesary vaccinations, they gave them again. They took some blood for other tests, charged her $100 US and said everything was normal and they will call with the blood test results in a couple of days.

9/25/2003 - Blood test was negative of any diseases (thank God, you never know).

10/02/2003 - Wilma had her interview. They asked where she will live (with me). They asked her if I have any children (yes, four) and will they live with us (they come over every other weekend). They asked if she will work (she plans on not working right away, but the possiblity is open). They asked why she wants to come to the US (to marry me, we love one-another and due to my children, it makes more sense for her to come here). They asked her what kind of work I do (I work with computers in a school district). They asked her to be more specific (I am the database administrator for the student records system). They asked her for copies of the last three months of my paystubs and a certified copy or original of my divorce degree.

(As Timothy has stated they are the only ones who know the rules to this game, and they change them as we go)

10/07/2003 - I sent the documents today via Fed-Ex. She should get them Friday. She will courier them to the embassy.

We are currently planning her flight for 11/01/2003.

Updates as we get them....

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys? Does anyone know why CSC processing times are not updated as of yet? All the other service centers have updated their data. :mad:
I checked the status of our case recently and what a surprise - now they mention that cases are processed within 15 to 21 days! :rolleyes: :confused: