Business Guidance for newbies who wish to get investment based permanent residence

desionh1b

Banned
Here are the suggestions I offer to my clients and FYI, although technically the investment is supposed to be "at risk", practically speaking, it is close to impossible to screw up with the following businesses, and I've yet to see anything less than ease in exceeding the USCIS requirements at the end of the 2 year period. As a matter of fact, I will give you a simple example of an average small investor looking to invest $500,000 in a targeted area as well as an ordinary investor looking to invest $1,000,000 in an urban area.

In either case where the investment is made directly as opposed to a regional center, it is quite easy to get a business loan equal to the cash invested, in order to double the amount of cash deployed in the business. Let us say for the sake of argument the small investor only gets $500,000 of his own money and $500,000 from the bank to begin with at an interest rate of 8%. This is easily enough to begin operations with at least 2 Subway shops or 2 La Salsa shops or even 2 DQ or Dunkin shops. In my experience, I've yet to see any of my clients fail to get at least a $7000 per month NOI on a Subway franchise after paying expenses such as raw materials, rent, utilities, salaries, taxes, etc. Assuming the interest payment per month on $500,000 is $3333, and Net Operating Income from 2 shops is $14000, it would still clear $10,000 a month if not more. Annually, it works out to be approximately $120,000, which makes it have an ROE of at least 22%. And these are CONSERVATIVE figures. I would recommend that you ask the Regional centers what kind of ROI do they typically offer.

For customers who can invest $1,000,000 or more, the better option is to choose a McDonalds or 7-11 which is IMHO, a far safer bet than even Subway, and Subway is already a pretty solid investment to begin with.

FYI, I normally try to steer my low budget clients into smaller towns such as Redding, Chico, Humboldt, Merced and the Tahoe or Shasta areas in CA or Fort Walton Beach, Naples, Venice and Windermere in FL.

The franchises I usually advise my conservative clients to go into are:
1) Subway
2) Dairy Queen
3) Dunkin Donuts and / or Basking Robbins (both are brands of the same corporation anyway)
4) Little Caesars
5) Jimmy John's
6) Wing Stop
7) UPS Store
8) Days inn Motel
9) Super 8 Motel
10) Anytime Fitness
11) Planet Fitness
12) ServPro
13) Massage Envy
14) Baja Fresh
15) La Salsa
16) McDonalds
17) KFC
18) 7-11
19) Krispy Kreme
20) Hungry Howies

I hope this helps.

YMMV (Your mileage may vary, which is legalese for these are figures I've seen, but you may get figures that are radically different).

The problem with Regional Centers is that you've no control over how your money is used and stories of loss of all or part of the capital are quit common. On the other hand, direct investment takes a little longer, but when you've a clear cut business plan and reputed franchises to invest in, it is hard to get rejected and even harder to make a loss. I've been a broker for a long time now, and have yet to see a Subway or McDonalds or Day's Inn or Super 8 Motel make a loss, and I've yet to see a client of mine make a loss while operating their business. The clients of mine who've sold their businesses have done so to cash out the goodwill in the existing business, and move onto bigger businesses, and most of them have actually gone on to simply acquire new businesses while holding on to their original investments too.

There are many EB-5 visa holders who have taken poor advice and applied unwisely with Regional Centers without independent professional advice, or indeed made an inappropriate judgment and selected a center where there have been EB-5 refusals at the I-526 and I-829 stage and there are a lot of unfortunate investors who have suffered the loss of some or all of their funds. However as with any investment, no matter how safe, there is always an element of risk. But it is important to understand that the number of EB-5 visa holders in the direct investment category who have lost some or all of their investment is a very small number compared to the number of losses carried by investors in regional centers.

A loss of some or all of the investment funds usually occurs when a Regional Center project fails to attract the required number of investors needed to fully fund its program. Unfortunately, there are several programs being marketed to investors which are unlikely to ever get off the ground and therefore will not provide the requirements for successful EB-5 applications. This is one of the primary reasons why it is so important to engage the services of an experienced and qualified EB-5 Consultant who has successfully advised people through the EB-5 process over a number of years.

I not only do the site selection and negotiate the leases, I also prepare an unassailable business plan that is undeniable as it focuses on setting up a new business with nationally known successful franchises. From a practical perspective, I support my clients in both the pre and post approval phase, so that they are able to grow in a safe and profitable manner, while complying with the US CIS requirements.