Brit being refused help!!

ianb

Registered Users (C)
Good evening Guys NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!
Ok, Me and my wife are British passport holders both in very good jobs here in the U.K. We would like to buy a house in Florida and start a new life away from the rain. We have tried to contact the U.S embassy here in London but they gave NO help at all. Why are we as Brits not allowed to apply for a "green card"?? We have been "stonewalled" every which way and I thought that we Brits are supposed to be America's no1 buddy!

Guys, tell us PLEASE is there any way that an average hard working Brit who has enough money to buy his own house can make the move??

Thanks

e-mail ian@ianblanthorn.wanadoo.co.uk

What is your basis for qualification?

Just being British doesn't give you special qualification to apply for a green card.

Go to www.uscis.gov and read the section about how to apply for a green card. If you have the qualifications as per regulations then you may be able to apply for permanent residency in the US. Just by being British is not one of them though, just like being American does not give anybody special qualification to be granted permanent residency( or whatever you call it there) in the UK!

Is it maybe you just don't want to listen to answers you don't want to hear?

Sorry buddy, 196111 is essentially right. We all have to jump through the same hurdles when it comes to US greencard petitions. This is one instance where us "poor saps" from the "third-world" are treated the same as you.

There are only 3 ways you can qualify for a green card;

1. Employment: A company in the US agrees to sponsor you for a green card. This is of course assuming that you have a professional degree. Typically takes 4-5 years to process (and I am being conservative here). In the mean time, you get to stay in the states on a work visa (H1). However, your spouse cannot work unless she gets a separate work visa for herself. Plus you have to keep the same employer during this period, since such greencard petitions are on a job-by-job basis.
One way you can bypass the need for a corporate sponsor is by applying for a national interest waiver in which case you have to prove that you're so talented and gifted in specific areas of US national interest (e.g health care, defense, etc), and that your unique talents are sorta hard to come by. This is not as hard as it sounds if for example you have an advanced degree in the sciences with a good track record of peer-reviewed publications, plus some US-based colleagues to vouch for you.

2. Marriage/Family: Speaks for itself. Your spouse has to be a citizen or green-card holder. In the case of the later, the wait period is stupendously long. Obviously does'nt apply to you since you're already married.

3. Assylum: Very hard to make a case that you're being persucuted by the British government ;). Even with genuine cases of persecution, the bar for proving one's case has been raised substantially since 9/11.

If you still wish to pursue this, your best bet is 1. Also hire a good immigration lawyer stateside. He/She will be able to better guide you.

Good luck

Solasoy

to tell you the turth. not to disapoint you or something, but if you just wanna "get a new life from the rain." Then you should go to Australia instead of the US.

I have friends who moved to "Down under" & N.Z. 5 years ago. They love it there & it's 10x easier than the US.

What type of job skills do you have?

You don't have to be a professional to get a GC through employment, just a prospective employer willing to go through the paperwork (our local chinese wok has sponsored more green-cards than our ivy-league university). You DO need a 4 year college degree in order to obtain an H1b visa which most people use to live and work in the states while their GC is beeing processed. If you can wait in the UK, you don't need this visa.

There is another category you might qualify for:

- alien enterpreneur/investor. That is if you open or buy a company here that employs more than 10 employees (who are not related to you) for 5 years. This employment has to be in a geographic area designated as having unusually high unemployment or rural. I believe you have to invest $1m into the venture. (So, putting a mill into a large farming operation and running it for 5 years would qualify you.) This is a tricky area and many people who tried to cut corners in the process got badly burnt.

Sorry, just beeing british won't confer any benefit to you. Actually, due to the high number of immigrants from the UK you don't even qualify for the lottery, if that is what you mean with 'applying for a green-card'.

Btw. You don't need ANY visa or GC to buy real-estate in the US. You might have trouble financing, but there ar plenty of europeans who own property in Florida. With the visa free travel they just shuttle back and forth every two months or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
visa free travel

options:

1. come here on visa waiver and buy property in FL, cash is still king here and they dont care if you ran across the border illegally as long as you ahve cash to buy and papy property taxes on time, welcome to florida :)

2. then hire a attorney here to find you options to stay here :) or become an illegal :) they will give you amnesty in a year or two :)

3. being british means other than a visa waiver you get no special treatment at all.none whatsoever,dont live in a world of illusions. as far as the uscis goes your royal shit smells exactly the same as the 17 million others waiting in line.

4. short of george w bush signing a special law to give you a green card, you have to endure the torture of the USCIS for years, even if you are british and even if you marry an american citizen. welcome to the world of the USCIS, torture is certain and guaranteed and there is no escape. those who survive uscis repression can survive abu ghraib prison easily

5. my suggestion is dont bother, if you can afford a property is florida, can get a cheap one for 100K just buy it and come here on a visa and stay uptio 6 months,leave for a month or two and come back again. thats assuming they dont kick britian out of the us visa waiver program. remmeber they can change this anytime and they may change the law because "jesus told them to do it" or more al qeeda arrive with real british passports and they feel british passports are not reliable anymore or they may just entirely cancel the visa waiver program or the uk fails to implement bio metric passports

6 if you are really looking for sun and fun, go to goa,india or phuket,thailand or australia or any locale in south america (dont know much about living there,but you need to be able to speak spanish or portugese) :)

7. not to discourage you but this is an endurance test that will drain you of your life,its not worht it just to "live in the sun"

8 the easiest least hassle way is just come here on visa waiver,rent an apartment,rent cheap furniture and stay 6 months and leave. do this as often as you like, they are not bothered as long as you dont overstay

shame on him..sorry.....

hi,
sorry..... ive just read that guys post...man...
the front on him!
im from the uk , and married to usc over 2yrs..and also have a 2 yr old usc boy.....
why do he think cas he has money he can say/do what he likes?....
me is still in the uk waiting for my gc....
approved i130...1 st sep 04
i824 is still pending...oct 04...
my wife and son live in florida...but im not going there for the sun thats for sure! .......
anyway......im a brit , but im nothing to do with him.....shamefull.....please dont treat us all the same.....
thanks
god bless....