Border Crossing Experience

Originally posted by mercury6
Actually working on H1 while PR of Canada is against the rules, but I guess the Canadian customs Guys realize there is not much work in Canada and are very flexible with it.

but Do the taxes.

mercury6,

I don't think it is against the rules to work in the US on H1-B if one is a Landed Immigrant, nor there is any law perventing the PR's from working in the US, Provided one maintains the residency requirements, pays taxes......etc.etc.

Can anyone please confirm that If you need a Stamp visa to enter the USA after January 01, 2003. Can anyone who have crossed the POE after January 01, please share their experienced.

Does anybody has checked from the border INS officer to see if the visa stamp is mandatory for reentering the US even if people has valid H1-B status and I-94.

Any bordercrossing exp. in 2003 will be appreciated!

jackchen:

My cousin is a hib and canadian PR since last 3 years.Recently he planned to visit Canada to get his new PR card but at the Canadian Border
they ask him either to give up Canadian PR and retain US h-1b or vise versa.He decided to give up his Canadian PR and they took his Canadian papers and send him back to US without letting him in.According to my cousin the canadians told him that you can't maintain Canadian PR working for 3 yrs in US and just showing up in Canada frequently just to maintain status.So be mindful of this situation.

Hello Feb2002Case,

Which number you have called to ask questions on PR card
I mean did u call from US or Canada. I know toll free number which is no use for US? is there any number to call and find our PR card status ?

Please share you exp

Thanks in advance

I called from Canada, it was some local Toronto office number. I think those numbers could only be reached from Canada. I hope it helps.

pipladi,

did u uncle cross the border recently? which border he tried to cross? He must tell them he has H1B in US right? or how did the border office find out he has a H1B?

thanks

That is what I am worrying.

Pipladi,

Could you give out more details about the Canadian border incident? What kind of transportation did your uncle use? How Canadian Office find out he has H-1? Did they check your US visa?This is what a lot of H-1 and Canadian PR holder is worrying. Hope your detail will help others to avoid this. Thanks

Cjohn

Hi Cannus
Can you tell me what all documents/forms you filled at the time of landing in canada ?
Thanks

Canada Border Crossing

Hi, Fellows,

Could someone with recent experience of entering CANADA border post some information? A lot of guys here have PR for 2 or 3 years and worked in US on H-1. They need to go to Canada to apply maple card. They are also wondering if they can get into Canada anymore since they have not been in Canada for so long. One of question will be asked is "How long have you been to US and what were you doing there?". If you tell them you have been working in US for 3 year, I think they will take away your landing paper and send you back to US border. If you tell you visited friends and only stayed in US for a week, You are not telling them the truth. What could you do? Do they check your passport to see what kind US visa you have? Someone please help. Thanks.

cjohn

Transportation Tool

Another question: What kind of transportation would make less questions being asked? Bus, rental car, own car, train, plane? Maybe early in the morning would be the better time for entering Canada since the officer got tired? Haha. Just hope someone could help with their experiences. Thanks in advance.

Cjohn

Hi manass,

I guess old employers can't cancel the visa, but they can only cancel H1Bs. As long as you have valid H1B and you still have valid Visa on the passport long enough that you can come back to US before that Visa expires, you can use Visa which was issued when you were with your old employer. But make sure you need to revalidate your Visa on the passport before it turns 1 year from the date of new H1B issued. It happend to me once and I did not have any problems when I visited my home country and came back to US on old employers visa. But this happend before Sep11th 2001. And also I carried my new H1B at that time. May be you might want to take second opinion too.

In any event, good luck and have a safe journey.

Regards.

if H1-B pettiton is cancelled , your visa will be automatically becomes invalid. Because Visa number will linked to your EAC#(pettion)

For canus_immi

“if H1-B petition is cancelled , your visa will be automatically becomes invalid. Because Visa number will linked to your EAC#(petition)”
Your above statement is not true, you are misleading many on this H1b petition and valid visa matter
READ:
http://travel.state.gov/revals.html
If your existing visa is still valid, it will not be considered for re-issuance until the remaining validity is within sixty days of expiring. Please note that you do not require a new visa merely because you have changed employers and received a new I-797 petition from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). If your current visa is still valid, you may reenter the US with that visa as long as you are in possession of a valid I-797, even though the visa contains the information from your former employer.
"canus_immi" is wrong, and what you read on the
Department of State Web site is correct.
The legal theory behind it is that the H-1B visa is not a petition and
is actually NOT linked to the EAC number (contrary to what "canus_immi"
said). It does list past employer company name strictly for information purposes as an
annotation, but past employer name is not part of what actually makes up the visa.

H1B Visa petition is different than H1b VISA sticker in your passport.

1 I was working with company A and had my H1B approval notice from A and my passport has still valid H1B visa on my passport with company B name on my passport visa sticker
2 I changed to company B and got my new H1B approval( no Visa with company B name in my passport it still has Visa sticker in my passport with company A name on it
3 My H1B petition was revoked or cancelled by company A and If I check through AVM or online INS it says company A petition was revoked in September 2002
4 I went to India in November 2002 and came back showing the passport Visa of Company A in December on it and I showed my new H1B approval from company B and I was given I-94 till the validity of company B approval.
On 6th February 2003 I took a flight for Toronto from Newark NJ airport and did not submitted my I-94 as they don’t ask for it
I came back today from Toronto and I had to face INS at Toronto airport before boarding a flight for NJ, they looked at my Passport, my company B H1b approval notice and not asked for recent pay stubs or employer letter (I had both with me)
I came back with same I-94 and with H1B visa sticker from my old company (who has revoked my H1B)
Moral of the story is:
Passport Visa sticker is different and H1B approval is different
The info posed on http://travel.state.gov/revals.html is correct and one can reenter US if you have valid H1B approved petition from other employer but have Visa sticker from other company name on it( even if that company revoked your past H1B) and Visa sticker is NOT cancelled if your H1B is revoked by past employer
Having Valid Visa sticker and H1B approval are both different, if your H1B petition is cancelled or revoked your Visa sticker with that company name is not cancelled and you can travel on that visa showing your new H1b approval notice but if you do not have new H1b approval then one can not use the passport Visa to enter US becase one does not have that status granted to him/her by new H1b petition
If you have confusion read the above site and stop scaring others with your OPENION you are not working for INS( INS also seems confused these days becase every day new rules) if confusion let them ask the competent immigration lawyer (many lawyer are just good for filing up the forms and don’t have updates)
If you are confident of your opinions then you should provide a link to any INS or Lawyer site that support your claims that will help the others.
you have posted many times the same matter and I do not agree with you because I have the practical experience recently.

--
And for others info:
I have my AOS pending in USA and have Canada PR; I was not asked any question for H1B or AOS pending in US by Canada immigration at Toronto airport they just looked at my Landing permit.
While coming back to US the INS asked the same regular question” what you do in US, have you bought any thing. I had AP with me I used H1B visa in passport and new H1B approval notice and never shown AP to them because my H1B is still VALID and I maintain H1B status having EAD and AP but never used EAD or AP .
For the use of AP or H1B when you have both and maintain H1 status after AOS pending or used AP still you can maintain H1

Read the complete MEMO

www.immigrationlinks.com/news/news301.htm

http//:www.shusterman.com/hlmemo500.htlm

Regards to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for Naman

Is it necessary to staple old landing papers to the passport ?
i have a PR card now

i plan to travel to India

on the way back into the US, should i remove the old papers ?

also, what shud i put in "Country where you reside" in the I 94 form ?

Is it necessary to staple old landing papers to the passport ?
i have a PR card now
-- it is up to you, if you want you can keep that IMM100 seprate but keep it for future records

i plan to travel to India

on the way back into the US, should i remove the old papers ?
-- no need to enter US you only need US visa

also, what shud i put in "Country where you reside" in the I 94 form

---India becase you are still citizen of India and dont stay in Canada permanently

Anyone has experience with Greyhound?

Hi all,

I am a landed immigrant and in the US on H1. I was wondering if anyone used greyhound to go into canada? Does canadian Immigration and customs get on the bus or do you have to walk across the border and do they make you fill out forms? Whats better.. to take a bus or Train... or walk..? Anyone has recent experiences?

Thanks!

Naman is Obsolutely correct...

I also had same experience...

Naman Question for u..
Can we check our status (H1) through online or as u said AVM? if so pl let us know how?

Appreciate ur help.