Book chapter and citation count

alexander321

I have a chapter publication in a book, and the book sold over 200 copies. My questions are the following:

1) Will the book chapter count as a publication (like a journal paper)?
2) Will the number of books sold (that contains my chapter) count as citations?

Some lawyers that i have talked to said "yes" for both questions, but i haven't read anything about it online or anywhere else.

So i need your feedback guys. Thanks.

Hi Alexander,

I think that a book chapter does count as a journal article; both can be refereed or not, and I don't know how much importance does USCIS lend to that point.

Your second question interests me, because my own book (I'm the only author) sold more than 300 copies. As the number of my citations is quite low, I'd love to get some information about this question:

Do sold copies of my work count as citations? If not, can I use them in some other way for my EB2-NIW application? Thanks.

Hi Alexander,

I think that a book chapter does count as a journal article; both can be refereed or not, and I don't know how much importance does USCIS lend to that point.

Your second question interests me, because my own book (I'm the only author) sold more than 300 copies. As the number of my citations is quite low, I'd love to get some information about this question:

Do sold copies of my work count as citations? If not, can I use them in some other way for my EB2-NIW application? Thanks.

I was confirmed that it does NOT count as citation. However it shows that people are using your work.

Now depends on what work you are doing, or what type of book it is. If it is a cutting edge (preferably science/engineering) topic, then yes, the number of book sold will have a very good impact if you file for EB2-NIW. Of course, you have to have also some journal publications and citations.

Also you have to have recommendation letters from people of high profile in your field that confirms that your work is significant and of high interest to the country, and it also has a national and international impact.

Thanks Alexander,

Since I'm in a Humanities field and my number of citations is rather low (less than 20, and then for some reason more than half appear only on Google Scholar results, but not on my Google Scholar profile), I'm trying to use whatever I can:

Will a book review be considered as a citation (either a review of my book, or a review of a book where I wrote a chapter that mentions my chapter)? How about when a book or an article thanks me in the acknowledgments or a footnote? I have quite a few of those.