Biometrics and Fingerprints

worldmonitor_1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Is there any place where I can find Biometrics info on USCIS website ?

I went for fingerprinting today. I told them about the biometrics but they just took finger prints and let me go.

Please let me know if there is any link so that I can take printout and show them to get by Biometrics taken.

Thanks in advance.

World

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/e-photo.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/nbc/faq.htm (Go to Biometrics section)

Some of the important FAQ related to Biometrics:

Biometrics

What should I take to my biometrics appointment at the Application Support Center (ASC)?

You must take the following documents with you to the ASC:

Your photo identification. Acceptable types of photo identification are:
passport or national photo identification issued by your country
a driver’s license
a military photo identification
a state-issued photo identification

AND

All Receipt Notices that were issued to you in relation to your current application for benefits. This includes receipt notices for the Forms I-485 and I-765. It is very important to bring both notices. Biometrics are captured under each separate receipt number for each separate Form, and if you do not present both notices, it can delay the issuance of your benefit document(s) (i.e. EAD or I-551 Lawful Permanent Resident Card.) These notices also provide instructions to ASC staff to capture the proper types of biometric information for each Form type.
Will customers still submit photographs with their applications even if their photographs are digitally captured at an Application Support Center (ASC)?
Yes. In order to make the process as transparent as possible, customers should continue to submit photographs if required by Form instructions until the instructions are changed. The receipt notice (Form I-797) will instruct the customer to schedule an appointment with an ASC to have his/her biometrics (photograph, fingerprints and signature) digitally captured. These digital images will be stored and used in the production of benefit documents.

Do I-485 applicants under age 14 and over age 79, who do not need to be fingerprinted, still need to make an appointment at an Application Support Center (ASC)?
Yes, any I-485 applicant under age 14 or over age 79 needs to have his or her photograph and signature captured at an ASC. These biometrics are needed to produce the I-551 Permanent Resident Card ("green card"). Applicants in these age groups receive specific I-485 receipt notices that are printed with the ASC code of 2, which, when presented at the ASC, provide for the capture of the photograph and signature only.

Will the I-765 applicant receive the new EAD at the conclusion of the biometrics appointment?
No, scheduling and appearing for a biometrics appointment only ensure that the EAD can be produced once the I-765 is approved (adjudicated). In fact, the EAD cannot be produced until the applicant's biometrics are in the system. However, regardless of when the applicant appears at the Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics capture, the order in which I-765s are adjudicated remains "first-in, first-out." If the I-765 application is approved at the NBC and the biometrics information has been successfully submitted by the applicant, a request from the NBC will be sent to our card generation facility in Corbin, Kentucky to create and mail an EAD card to the applicant.

Some applicants report having difficulty scheduling appointments for biometrics capture at an Application Support Center (ASC). Why do some ASC centers state that no appointments are available for 45 days?
The Application Support Centers must set aside a certain number of appointment slots for not only National Benefits Center customers, but also for customers of the other four USCIS Service Centers. If an applicant calls the National Customer Service Center to schedule an appointment and finds that slots are unavailable, the situation is most likely that there are available appointments, but the specific appointment time that the customer wants is filled. The NCSC scheduler is monitored daily and changes are made immediately if too few appointment slots are available.

Are the biometrics appointments related to the adjudication of Advance Parole?
No. Please make sure that two passport style photos are included with your I-131, as these are needed to produce the I-512 travel document.

Apollo_13..please clarify

Apollo_13,

In your post, you mention that for children under 14 still need biometric(photograph and signature). I485s for myself, my wife and my 8 year old daughter have been filed with VSC in Aug 2004. We received couple of weeks back, Finger Print notices for me and for my wife but not for my daughter since she is under 18. But per your posting how can she give her biometrics without any notice from USCIS? You say her I485 notice is enough to do it that means we can take my daughter to the Application Support Center for biometrics on the day of our appointment which is on April 08, 2005 at Newark, NJ. I would have missed her, had I not read your posting. I have been following these threads but all of them say children below 14 do not require.
Please clarify this issue.
Thnx in advance..

vin_gc said:
Apollo_13,

In your post, you mention that for children under 14 still need biometric(photograph and signature). I485s for myself, my wife and my 8 year old daughter have been filed with VSC in Aug 2004. We received couple of weeks back, Finger Print notices for me and for my wife but not for my daughter since she is under 18. But per your posting how can she give her biometrics without any notice from USCIS? You say her I485 notice is enough to do it that means we can take my daughter to the Application Support Center for biometrics on the day of our appointment which is on April 08, 2005 at Newark, NJ. I would have missed her, had I not read your posting. I have been following these threads but all of them say children below 14 do not require.
Please clarify this issue.
Thnx in advance..

Your question is a valid one. Here is the extract from FAQ posted in USCIS web site:

Applicants in these age groups receive specific I-485 receipt notices that are printed with the ASC code of 2, which, when presented at the ASC, provide for the capture of the photograph and signature only.

It looks like they send separate FP notices with code-2 for children under age. In your case, as you said, I think its better if you take your daughter along with you and get her biometrics done. Explain them that you didn't receive a separate letter for her.

Apollo_13....Thanks

Apollo_13,
Thanks for your reply. I checked the I485 notice of my kid and there is no biometric code or ASC mentioned on it. But I will take her with us.

Can I find on USCIS website where children under 14 can be have biometrics with out specific notice. I am sorry if am asking the same question again. I am a bit confused. And Newark, NJ center is not known to be of applicants' supportive. If I get any info I can show them to do biometrics for my kid. Thanks again Apollo_13 for your valuable advise.

vin_gc said:
Apollo_13,
Thanks for your reply. I checked the I485 notice of my kid and there is no biometric code or ASC mentioned on it. But I will take her with us.

Can I find on USCIS website where children under 14 can be have biometrics with out specific notice. I am sorry if am asking the same question again. I am a bit confused. And Newark, NJ center is not known to be of applicants' supportive. If I get any info I can show them to do biometrics for my kid. Thanks again Apollo_13 for your valuable advise.

Where exactly do they say about the codes in FP notices. I've already received EAD and AP approval docs. Later, my FP was scheduled with a code 3 and they took only my finger prints without biometrics. Does it cause any issue to my I-485 and others??

thanks

cooldude2k4 said:
Where exactly do they say about the codes in FP notices. I've already received EAD and AP approval docs. Later, my FP was scheduled with a code 3 and they took only my finger prints without biometrics. Does it cause any issue to my I-485 and others??

thanks

I haven't read anyone saying their I-485 approval was delayed because they didn't do biometrics. Since this procedure is pretty new, its not clear whether this would delay the process or not.

The main purpose of biometrics is to avoid I-551 stamping in your passport. The moment your approval comes thru, USCIS will order for the plastice card and eliminate I-551 stamping in the passport.

In your case, since you had received FP notice with Code-3, it will be better if you go back to the same ASC and get biometrics done. Atleast couple of guys have reported in this forum that they went back for Biometrics alone (when ASC failed to get it in their first visit) and ASC completed Biometrics process. For one person, ASC called him later and completed the process.

Apollo_13 said:
I haven't read anyone saying their I-485 approval was delayed because they didn't do biometrics. Since this procedure is pretty new, its not clear whether this would delay the process or not.

The main purpose of biometrics is to avoid I-551 stamping in your passport. The moment your approval comes thru, USCIS will order for the plastice card and eliminate I-551 stamping in the passport.

In your case, since you had received FP notice with Code-3, it will be better if you go back to the same ASC and get biometrics done. Atleast couple of guys have reported in this forum that they went back for Biometrics alone (when ASC failed to get it in their first visit) and ASC completed Biometrics process. For one person, ASC called him later and completed the process.

thanks for your response.
The ASC people said they confirmed everything and said it is not required. I moved from that place, so can I check with the local ASC?

I had a notice for 3/8 with code 3
I went to ASC on 2/25 morning and they took my fingerprints,
few hours later they called me and asked to come back because they forgot to take my picture.
I came back about 1 pm and they took a picture and additional fingerprint (only one finger)
They explained me that this is a new thing. Usually, they did only fingerprints, but I was the first person in our ASC for whom something else was requested.

Docs required for FP. ( Newark, NJ with Code-3 )

Hi Guys,

I see here the documents required for FP such as receipt notices for the Forms I-485 and I-765.

The question is

Do we need to take the Originals of the receipt notices?

OR

Photo copies of receipt notices are OK? (originals are with my attorney)

Please post your experience ...!!!!

Thanks in advance....
mka

cooldude,
I am in the same boat. I have my EAD and AP and when I went for FP (code 3) they just took FP no biometrics. We even asked them to take photo and digital signature. They said not with this form. So I gues it depends on the ASC.
Chimi...
cooldude2k4 said:

thanks

mka2005

i never had original 485 receipt, my lawyers have it. I had a scan from lawyers and i printed it. In ASC they told me that i don't need it at all. They asked for passport, driver license, SS card, and EAD. I didn't bring EAD since it wasn't mentioned in FP notice. They said it would take a few minutes for them to call somewhere and verify something about my EAD. It took not more than 5 minutes. I was the only one for FP there and there were 5 people working in ASC. So everything was pretty fast.

Hello,

During our FP (Code 3 in Boise, ID), we were asked for the original FP notification (they scanned the machine only readable square) and a photo id - Driving license worked. (The address on my driving license did not match our current address but that did not matter.)

They took one look at "Code 3" and did all that was to be done - Digital signature, Picture, Fingerprints of all 10 fingers and separately fingerprint of my right index.

My hand had a few cracks on my thumb. I visited the office a week before my scheduled date and I was given a photocopy of a small write up on "Corn Husker's Solution" as a remedy for my cracks on thumb skin. I was also advised by the supervisor there that instead of going on the 15th (Scheduled date) it would be better if I went there on the next day (16th) as they were planning to install a new fingerprinting machine on 15th. The supervisor just wrote "16 march" and put his initials on the original notification.

On 16th, it took no more than 1 hour for me and my wife.

All the best.

QA D

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a strang situation . I've received plastic card and also finger print notification with code = 2 , I'm not sure what I suppose to do with this . Please kindly help me out ..

qa_director said:
Hello,

During our FP (Code 3 in Boise, ID), we were asked for the original FP notification (they scanned the machine only readable square) and a photo id - Driving license worked. (The address on my driving license did not match our current address but that did not matter.)

They took one look at "Code 3" and did all that was to be done - Digital signature, Picture, Fingerprints of all 10 fingers and separately fingerprint of my right index.

My hand had a few cracks on my thumb. I visited the office a week before my scheduled date and I was given a photocopy of a small write up on "Corn Husker's Solution" as a remedy for my cracks on thumb skin. I was also advised by the supervisor there that instead of going on the 15th (Scheduled date) it would be better if I went there on the next day (16th) as they were planning to install a new fingerprinting machine on 15th. The supervisor just wrote "16 march" and put his initials on the original notification.

On 16th, it took no more than 1 hour for me and my wife.

All the best.

QA D

Which ASC ?

Biometrics FAQ

chimi said:
cooldude,
I am in the same boat. I have my EAD and AP and when I went for FP (code 3) they just took FP no biometrics. We even asked them to take photo and digital signature. They said not with this form. So I gues it depends on the ASC.
Chimi...

Chimi,
Here is what i found from USCIS.gov

Will the I-765 applicant receive the new EAD at the conclusion of the biometrics appointment?
No, scheduling and appearing for a biometrics appointment only ensure that the EAD can be produced once the I-765 is approved (adjudicated). In fact, the EAD cannot be produced until the applicant's biometrics are in the system. However, regardless of when the applicant appears at the Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics capture, the order in which I-765s are adjudicated remains "first-in, first-out." If the I-765 application is approved at the NBC and the biometrics information has been successfully submitted by the applicant, a request from the NBC will be sent to our card generation facility in Corbin, Kentucky to create and mail an EAD card to the applicant

So does this mean that if you have EAD no biometrics is required?

Need advice from experts in the forum.