better to buy a car in US or Canada

fromEast

Registered Users (C)
Hi, this might be an interesting discussion: is it better to buy a car in US and import it to Canada (assume the car is importable according to RIV) or buy it in Canada?

Also, I already finished my goods to follow list, does anyone know if I can change my goods to follow list to include this new car?

Thanks.

If you buy a car in US and import it in canada you will have to pay 7% GST at the border and then all importation charges etc. Will be cheaper to buy it in Canada

Is there a website I check the real car selling price in Canada? I did some research and found it's much expensive to buy the same vehicle in Canada(probably 20% higher considering the current exchange ratio). This is unbelievable. I understand I need to pay 7% GST, but even if I buy in Canada, I still need to pay, am I missing something?

Actually, It was cheaper to buy a car in Canada before when the exchange rate was 1.5 but since it is only 1.19 today , things have changed. You would be required to import the car in canada and make all the required modifications (daytime running lights etc) when you import the car + 182 Import fee + Provincial inspections etc.

Do you Math and see what works for you.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Does anyone know if I can modify my goods to follow list(or get another list) to include the new car purchased in US and bring to Canada?

Nope

That is not allowed as far as I know and also you will have to pay full payment for the car in US to get the title in your name before you can import it in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imported my car from the US to Canada amnd now feel it would have been better to buy in Canada. Usually Cars are cheaper in Canada than in the US - also Canadian cars come with some additional features which the same car/ model in the US does not offer - eg. my car is sold in the US without heated wing mirrors, in Canada the same model is available with heated mirrors which definitely makes a difference in the cold weather. Also the coins holder in my car does not hold the Canadian coins. Small points but they do make a difference when you are driving day in and day out.

You dont need to pay 7% tax for importing - not if you have owned your vehicle in the US for a some time (forget the exact no of months). If you have just bought a car in the US and imported to Canada, you do need to pay the tax. Also you need the title at the time of import - if you have financed the car, your bank will probably retain the title.

List of Goods to Follow cannot be changed once you have landed in Canada.

I agree

If u already have a car in US and fully own it , it is okay to import it provided it meets import requirements , but never heard before of some one buying it and then importing it. If you do not own for > 1 year , you have to put import fee , GST and make modifications and sometimes come to US to get some parts for it .

Not very convenient eh!

I bought brand new honda civic in Canada when I was a PR .
Then I got a job in US.
I drove my car into US and did not have to pay any import fees
or taxes, since it was for personal use.

how can someone get a loan in Canada to pay off the car in the US since u would be going fresh to Canada and wud not have any credit history there. I have heard that they do refer or pull your US credit history to give u a loan is that true. Any further insights would be greatly appreciated

do u know of any banks that let u carry over the financing to Canada. Like some back which is there in US and Canada?

Thanks for replying. I owned the car for more than 1 year, but what I listed in the goods to follow list are some other cars which I sold bacause they are considered inadmissible by RIV.

I agree if buying a new car, it's better to do it in Canada.