Benefit for Green Card Holder

Some links:
http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/groups/healthcare/documents/pub/DHS_id_006255.hcsp
http://www.co.stearns.mn.us/departments/hs/health/mnprograms.htm
As permanent resident one can buy health insurance through govt. sponsored agency but most free benefits are now restricted to US citizens or "qualified non-citizens" - essentially PRs after 5 years residency in the US.

dabuk said:
JoeF, thanks for your answers, hoping that you might offer comments/insights into the statements below

(a) For people 65 and older, who are not eligible for medicare, the state of Minnesota has a health care program called "MinnesotaCare".
Now, if the GC parents stay away from the person filing the affidavit of support, in far away Minnesota, would they receive these benefits?

I hate to say but after watching JoeF write enthusiastically over the years and add up his postings (congrats in advance for getting close to 10,000 posts!), with all due respect, I should say that JoeF tends to get too excited and write whatever he thinks is right. He seems to think that he is the final authority and others (in his puny brain) a bunch of “trolls”.

I just happen to see this thread. It’s been some time since I visited this forum.

GC Holders do get Medicaid Benefits! Why I do say so? Because my parents have been getting for the past 4 years! They are still GC Holders. They are over 65 years and have no income. So friends, either take my answer or someone’s who runs his mouth!

I did some research on this topic a while back. NY extends Medicaid benefits to GC Holders over 65 yrs old w/o income. PA, VA & TX offer only to US Citizens > 65 years and no income. NJ offers Medicaid benefits to GC holders, if one is a GC holder for 5 years i.e. USC eligible. Many states have restricted Medicaid to USC's only. The only general exception is if one is > 65 years, has no income and has been a GC holder on/before 1996.

I know many GC holders who get Medicaid.

Hope this clarifies.

One more point for the record:

To qualify for Medicaid, one does NOT need to have worked in the US at all! That is Medicare.

Medicaid is for low-income / no-income families regardless of any US work history.

Another point is that the Sponsor is only liable for 3 years!

I am not interested in any "flame war". These are my thoughts on things I know first-hand. I'll leave JoeF here to answer any other questions :D

And oh, one more thing. GC Holders with no income still qualify for Medicaid, if an unforeseen hospitalization occurs. Check with the local county social service dept as severity of benefits differ from place to place.

Take care, folks for now.

my parents immigrated to florida after my dads brother sponsored him. they are now on a green card since dec 05
they now live in florida with my sister by have no income and are seniors.

looking for any help/info on what kind of benefits they can get and how.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
what benefits are available to seniors (>65) new GC holders in California

My parents got their green cards six months ago (in california). They are 65 and 60 years old. No work history in the US.

Can someone please tell me what medical, social security etc benefits are available to them if any.

In particular, does someone know about california rules on this?

many thanks,

-Dinesh

People (PR) who can't get Medicare because they have never contibuted to it, can still get Medicaid (Medical in California) if they are poor. They can even get SSI (this is not an insurance). All counties have separate insurance programs for indigents who don't qualify for Medicaid.

I hate to say but after watching JoeF write enthusiastically over the years and add up his postings (congrats in advance for getting close to 10,000 posts!), with all due respect, I should say that JoeF tends to get too excited and write whatever he thinks is right. He seems to think that he is the final authority and others (in his puny brain) a bunch of “trolls”.

I just happen to see this thread. It’s been some time since I visited this forum.

GC Holders do get Medicaid Benefits! Why I do say so? Because my parents have been getting for the past 4 years! They are still GC Holders. They are over 65 years and have no income. So friends, either take my answer or someone’s who runs his mouth!

I did some research on this topic a while back. NY extends Medicaid benefits to GC Holders over 65 yrs old w/o income. PA, VA & TX offer only to US Citizens > 65 years and no income. NJ offers Medicaid benefits to GC holders, if one is a GC holder for 5 years i.e. USC eligible. Many states have restricted Medicaid to USC's only. The only general exception is if one is > 65 years, has no income and has been a GC holder on/before 1996.

I know many GC holders who get Medicaid.

Hope this clarifies.

Hi there your posting has been very helpful and I was wondering if you know abything or can point me in the right direction to find out about, medical/medicaid in Michigan we live in Uk and are thinking of moving but healthcare is our major concern thank you

This subject is too old but i m serching some informatıon about madicaid.

My wife is pregnant and we will be in ny at october we wait a bayby in Feb 09 that time i ll be worked only about 2 or 3 months what can i do for medicaid in ny state.
We are green card holdr but we have no work history in usa.
Thanks Already for Answers.

No I havent

Don't you have health insurance?

In october i ll Poe before then my wife to ny and try to fınd a house for us then will wait for bayby but we need medicaid. She is architect and i m travel agnecy manager we wıll do our best <bout job and we wiil earng good but first a few month is wiil be hard, thats why askıng for medicaid.

In october i ll Poe before then my wife to ny and try to fınd a house for us then will wait for bayby but we need medicaid. She is architect and i m travel agnecy manager we wıll do our best <bout job and we wiil earng good but first a few month is wiil be hard, thats why askıng for medicaid.

Medicaid, to the best of my knowledge, is not something you acquire or have right to after you get GC. This is a service which be offered to elderly people with history of work for cetain time in US.
Medicare is another service to children (mostly USC or GC holders for more than 5 years) of family with income below certain level depending on the state you are.
If you do not have income/insurance, your wife can just go to near by hospital or center at the time of labor (through the emergency room). No one will return here back because she has no insurance.

Medicaid, to the best of my knowledge, is not something you acquire or have right to after you get GC. This is a service which be offered to elderly people with history of work for cetain time in US.
Medicare is another service to children (mostly USC or GC holders for more than 5 years) of family with income below certain level depending on the state you are.
If you do not have income/insurance, your wife can just go to near by hospital or center at the time of labor (through the emergency room). No one will return here back because she has no insurance.

You have it backwards. Medicare is for elderly people who worked before. Medicaid is for poor people.

Also, a state has the option of extending Medicaid to legal immigrants of less than five years.

Don't you have health insurance?

No unfortunately i haven't also we will be there at end of october i guess and baby must be comes arround february. I wanna learn about how can we make bırth wıth mınumum expenceies.. Medicaid or some one talk about full bırth package at some hospıtal for 2 400 usd:S

Maybe when i come i ll start to work immedeatly that tıme the insuarence will be only for 2 months i dunno will they except to pay for bitrh..

Thank u Already Thankful :D

Last edited by a moderator:
if you don't have medical insurance, the least costly way is probably giving birth in your home country. Only thing to lose is baby won't be natural born USC.. Not a big deal unless your kid is going to run for US president :D

:S Really confused what to do??

THANKS TO YOU ALL!!

TherealCanadina thank u i m in Istanbul now. And hope will be interviewed in october.

mmed :> "If you do not have income/insurance, your wife can just go to near by hospital or center at the time of labor (through the emergency room). No one will return here back because she has no insurance."""

Yes u right but the time i ll be indebted minumum 12 000 usd .. Are You sure Medicaid is only for about minumum 5 years gc holder...

You have it backwards. Medicare is for elderly people who worked before. Medicaid is for poor people.

Also, a state has the option of extending Medicaid to legal immigrants of less than five years.

Did you heard any one like this case...? Even its can be an emergency illness to. İ think its must be same for pregnancy or others hospitals service.

if you don't have medical insurance, the least costly way is probably giving birth in your home country. Only thing to lose is baby won't be natural born USC.. Not a big deal unless your kid is going to run for US president :D

But cause of girl friends Familiy its not the good way for us :(:(

I m Search for some one to gıve birth in New York state without insuarence ... I d read some thing about package of birth for 2 400 Usd ?? Any information about this?

What about if i start a job which pay my healt insurance its will afford the birth. Because when the birth time is comıng i l be max to month insuranced.?? Is 2 only 2 month enough?? Stuck subject and question..

Thanks for all answers again

NY has a health insurance program for pregnant women with limited income regardless of immigration status.

wavvvvvvvvv thankyou thankfull you are sure dont you its really very very good news for me .. I have a friend in ny a student i tell hım to search about this where we can ask for that limited insuarence..

Thank u thankful

I just moved to the upstate New York area...I saw your post online and it seems you really provide some valuable comments. I have some questions regarding my parents' benefits, I was wondering if you could help me answer them...My parents are over 65, one of them is disabled with very low income ($200/month from her retirement overseas). As green card holders live in New York State, will they eligible for Medicaid as soon as they obtain green card? or do they have to wait for three years because I am the sponsor?
Where should I go for for further information? Which hospital should I go?
Your kind reply will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!!