1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefit for Green Card Holder

Discussion in 'Life After The Green Card' started by jj88, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. jj88

    jj88 New Member

    What are the benefits especially medical benefit for green card holder? My mom and dad just got their green cards, and they are > 65 yrs, but they have never worked in the U.S. They live CA. Thanks for the help :)
  2. Picaso

    Picaso Banned

    You really are a nutcase!!! Indeed!!! That gentleman is asking for some help and you posted like TRUE asshole. If you can't help, just stay quite. :eek:
  3. brb2

    brb2 Registered Users (C)

    JoeF is right Green Card holders are not eligible for medicare or medicaid benefits. Clinton administration forbade states to provide benefits to new GC holders (even those over 65). Worst, most health insurance companies will deny health insurance coverage putting the sponsorer at grave financial risk in the event that the elderly parents need hospitalization. However, some states such as Minnesota provide health insurance through a government agency (at 115% the commerical premium) to any one who was denied health insurance or are over 65. After 5 years your parents can BUY medicare coverage (only one part (A?) which covers hospitalization at a cost of around $200 odd per month.

    Benfits at state level vary and there might be some benefits at the county, city or state level. You will need to farret that information out. Please post any information you might gain for the benefit of others. Good luck.
  4. Picaso

    Picaso Banned

    brb, are you fool?? joef is anti-immigrant !!! don't you see?? Historically joef posts anti immigrant
  5. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    That doesn't make what he says any less true, or your posts any less foolish and insulting.
  6. spartakus

    spartakus Registered Users (C)

    quick question here

    So does a PR have access to health benefits if he has been working and paying taxes since he has been in this country or as others said a PR does not have any benefits period which does not make any sense; but again what does in this whole immigration process?!

  7. spartakus

    spartakus Registered Users (C)

    thanks JoeF

    That makes sense.

  8. desi74

    desi74 Registered Users (C)

    JoeF is giving a truthful answer to a query...what do you want him to do...just give a fake answer which may sound polite but far away from reality.....we all come here to get the honest answers which may be harsh ...we dont come here for fake but polite answers...
  9. jj88

    jj88 New Member

    Thank you all for your helpful answers. The reality is harsh, I will just have find a way to deal with it. :)
  10. Fuji

    Fuji Registered Users (C)

    You may add ur parents to ur tax return form as depandents

    , this is an indirect benefit to them as a senior.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2005
  11. AmericanWannabe

    AmericanWannabe Registered Users (C)

    Affadavit of Surpport is valid only for 3 years
  12. Apollo_13

    Apollo_13 Registered Users (C)

    JoeF is correct. Sometimes, truth is bitter too. What to do? We have to accept it and face it Or else try a workaround.
  13. ghost-rider

    ghost-rider Registered Users (C)

    intersting topic. Quick question Now plenty of spouses donot work and they get green card and then get citizenship later on what will happen to there medical coverage when they reach 65 years if
    1) they still carry the PR
    2) or they became citizen.
  14. Jaguar2004

    Jaguar2004 Registered Users (C)

    Sponsoring a parent

    Good topic. Although, very early, I hope to do the same. Sponsor my mom. I was wondering as a Canadian citizen, will she be eligible for ( when she comes to US from Canada) medicare/medicaid ?
  15. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    There's a totalization agreement, but any credits in Canada would be considred "0" credits agianst SSA. Basically, they're useful if you are a few quarters short of the 40 required for eligibility but are of no value in terms of raising your benefit.

    Medicaid and Medicare are specifically excluded (mostly because Canada has government healthcare funded out of general revenues). Therefore, her Canadian citizenship is of no value whatsoever when establishing Medicare eligbility.

    That's what keeps my parents and in-laws a plane ride away, too. :)
  16. AmericanWannabe

    AmericanWannabe Registered Users (C)

    I think Affadavit of Support for spouse as derivative applicant
    together with primary applicant sponsored by employer is different
    from that for familit sponsorship. The former may be valid only for 3
  17. AmericanWannabe

    AmericanWannabe Registered Users (C)

    If working husband/wife get 40 credits, his/her wife/husband
    get soem benefits too even if they never work. That is my understanding
  18. arizonian

    arizonian Registered Users (C)

    Is there a timeline restriction on how soon a sponsored PR can become a citizen?

    If there is none, then could one become a citizen in five years ang get benefits, and not have to wait for 10 years or 40 credits?

    If one becomes a citizen before accruing these 40 credits, then is the sponsoring individual still liable for all medical/other expenses?
  19. arizonian

    arizonian Registered Users (C)


    If someone becomes a citizen before accruing 40 SS credits, what benefits is the person entitled to? What benefits is that person NOT entitled to?
  20. dabuk

    dabuk Registered Users (C)

    Medical care for parents

    JoeF, thanks for your answers, hoping that you might offer comments/insights into the statements below

    (a) For people 65 and older, who are not eligible for medicare, the state of Minnesota has a health care program called "MinnesotaCare".
    Now, if the GC parents stay away from the person filing the affidavit of support, in far away Minnesota, would they receive these benefits?

    (b) Folks, also once your parents become citizens (5 years), all worries vanish. I also believe that in the state of CA, they become eligible for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) since they do not derive income of their own and medi-cal (California's version of medicare).

    (c) So, basically, the option IF YOU HAVE to get your parents here
    --If either one of them is over 65, pack them off to Minnesota and get them enrolled in MinnesotaCare (and the other person in private health insurance)
    --If they're under 65, buy private insurance for them.
    --Wait for 5 years, have them become citizens

    (d) Or, explore the option of getting them both a Candian PR (through you) and a U.S. GC. Rent on both sides of the border...and do some creative thinking....

    Basically, the truth is medical care is prohibitively expensive for seniors without insurance....so unless you're stupid you will do your homework well before getting your parents here.

    I wish they made medicare universally accesible to all (like in Canada)

Share This Page