Becoming a USA citizen while still owing child support

Maria3

Hello,

My ex husband had his interview. According to a family member, he passed the test and the officer asked him to come back and bring evidence that he is current with child support. He has a court order where it states that he has to pay $300 a month child support AND pay half for all medical expenses. While he is current with the $300 monthly obligation he has not covered the medical expenses for over a year.

Does USCIS have access to the child support court order?
How will USCIS verify if he has also honored medical expenses?

I waited for him to recover from a broken heel to catch up with the medical money he owes me. He said he will start making small payments, but he has not.

I have a feeling that he will present the evidence of paying the $300 a month, but not mention the medical expenses he owes me.

I feel I should contact USCIS and tell them before he takes the oath.

Does any one have any insights on how USCIS navigates the child support obligation?

Is there USCIS phone number that will connect me with a live person?

I will appreciate any feed back on this, thank you in advance for your time.

Hello,

My ex husband had his interview. According to a family member, he passed the test and the officer asked him to come back and bring evidence that he is current with child support. He has a court order where it states that he has to pay $300 a month child support AND pay half for all medical expenses. While he is current with the $300 monthly obligation he has not covered the medical expenses for over a year.

Does USCIS have access to the child support court order?
How will USCIS verify if he has also honored medical expenses?

I waited for him to recover from a broken heel to catch up with the medical money he owes me. He said he will start making small payments, but he has not.

I have a feeling that he will present the evidence of paying the $300 a month, but not mention the medical expenses he owes me.

I feel I should contact USCIS and tell them before he takes the oath.

Does any one have any insights on how USCIS navigates the child support obligation?

Is there USCIS phone number that will connect me with a live person?

I will appreciate any feed back on this, thank you in advance for your time.

Hi Maria,

The process of citizen is between your ex husband and USCIS. There is no need for your to call them and provide any info, since they have already a process in place and evaluate when someone can earn their citizenship or not. In the case he gets the citizenship granted is because he completed all the necessary requirements.